How do I format my new HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmantis, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macmantis macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a PowerMac g4 Cube and an Intel dual-core g5 iMac.

The iMac is running Leopard and is fine.

I plan to run Leopard on the Cube, via instructions in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=383609

but before I can install Leopard, my cube needs a firmware upgrade.

This upgrade can only be installed under OS 9. So, I tracked down a copy, then went away for Christmas.

Now that I'm back, I've discovered the the HD in the cube is fried. So, I've bought and installed a new HD.

Given that I cannot get the cube to simply boot from the install CD and install, I assume I need to format the drive before I can install anything on it. Is this so?

If so, how do I format it? I can see the drive in Firewire target disk mode when connected to my iMac, but I cannot format the drive over this connection - I assume because one machine is an Intel-based one and the other is not.

2. macmantis thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, well, many views, no responses, great. ;)

I was thinking I might buy an enclosure for my new hard drive and format it via the Intel mac, that way.

The new drive is a 160GB Ultra-ATA. What I want to know is can I put this in an enclosure that says it is compatible with 'ATA'. Will this accept the ultra-ATA drive?

3. Klian macrumors newbie

You can format the HD in the operating system installation.

4. macmantis thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing happens when I insert the OS 9 CD, (which is fine, free of scratches and a legal copy - and works on other machines), and also nothing happens when I tell the machine to boot from the install CD.

I know you can format from the install procedure, but I can't get to the install procedure.