How do I format my WD 320 Gig Passport?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookProJoe, May 17, 2008.

1. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

I have a WD 320 Passport external that I was using for my PC. Well, I'd like to use it with my MBP. How do I format it so that I can use it with my Mac? Right now it wont let me ADD anything to it because it wont let itself me "modified". Any help is appreciated.

Tom

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Are you looking to just use it on your Mac? If so, use disk utility to format as journaled. If you need to use it both in OS X and Windows you may want to format it as FAT32, which has a 4GB individual file size limit. Other options are enabling your mac to write to NTFS with software, or letting Windows read the Journaled format.

3. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thanks Aaron. Well, in a perfect world Id like to keep what's there and simply ADD to it from the Mac.... In an imperfect world I need to free up space on my Mac's HD so I can allocate room for a bootcamp partition for windows XP.

I have so many DVD movies on my Mac that I dont have the space for bootcamp.....

Tom

4. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

How do you let windows read journaled format?

5. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Ok, having found disk utility, what version of Mac format would you suggest?

Bugger, Im trying to partition the drive. It'll let me do everything BUT it wont give me permission to select how much space to make the partition. The drive is 320 gig. I want to partition half of it but that small window isnt highlighted so that I can ditermin disk space.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

7. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Well that's just f-ng great. I used bootcampt to partition 80 gigs for XP. when it was done it told me to reboot. Now when I run bootcamp to install XP it DOESNT recognize that partition. I ran disk utility and it says invalid block count!

I didnt think Id have these kinds of problems....

RATS! I dont want to reformat my drive and reinstall X.