how do i free space on my time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Theraker007, May 5, 2009.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

or set it up to overwrite the oldest material.

it works fine on my laptop, but i added my new imac to the time machine backup and it never works b/c it says backup full, so its yet to do a backup

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

if both systems are backing up to the same time machine the laptop could have used up all the space so the newer system can't get any space to write a backup. the laptop will be able to wipe older stuff cause it owns the space, but the new system can't get any space.

The way to solve it is to partition the time machine into 2 partitions; 1 for the laptop and one for the new system. That way each will be able to backup and overwrite.

you'll probably need to wipe the time machine disk to do this.

3. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

ah i understand, is there a step by step guide on how to do this.. i dont mind wiping my time machine for now since i still have everythign i need on my laptop (and honestly it isnt that much, if i lost eerything id live)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Basically you have to shut off time machine, then open DiskUtility and erase then re-partition the drive. I don't have the details (it's been a while), but I'm sure others can help.

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Try to delete the Printer drivers... they take up about 10GB/s... and also.. if you can live without the backup some of the iMovie files take up lots and lots of space!!

Hope that this helps!!
    J