Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
how do i reformat the whole drive and restart osx fresh? why cant i find the instructions anywhere?

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
all you got to do is put the disc in the computer, restart holding the 'C' key ont the keyboard and follow the instructions. When it comes to the part where it shows the hard drive you want to install or reinstall os x on click custom or options on the bottom left corner, and the very last option is erase and install. Make sure its on extended journaled and click ok and continue. and there you go. :)

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Partitioned?

This might be a bit off topic.. But should we partitioned our HD in Mac? No Windows usage planned here...

indiean

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
i have another off topic question, sorry. well it's sort of off topic.

say i want to modify my os x installation (not reinstall), is this possible? because i know windows has these feature, the only reason i'm asking is i've already customised my computer and moved all my files over, etc.

thanks so much

if i should start anew thread asking this question, i will do so

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This might be a bit off topic.. But should we partitioned our HD in Mac? No Windows usage planned here...

There isn't really any reason why a consumer-level Mac user should partition the hard drive if you're only going to use OS X. Some people do for various reasons, but the vast majority of users don't.

say i want to modify my os x installation (not reinstall), is this possible? because i know windows has these feature, the only reason i'm asking is i've already customised my computer and moved all my files over, etc.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you means by "modify"? Do you want to just remove programs? For many things, it's as easy as deleting the application. A Spotlight search often turns a couple of small preference files that can be deleted, but it's not important to remove them. Apple apps are often a bit more complex to remove as they sometimes have large libraries of support files buried in places like "Application Support" in one of your Library folders. What else do you want to do?

indiean

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you means by "modify"? Do you want to just remove programs? For many things, it's as easy as deleting the application. A Spotlight search often turns a couple of small preference files that can be deleted, but it's not important to remove them. Apple apps are often a bit more complex to remove as they sometimes have large libraries of support files buried in places like "Application Support" in one of your Library folders. What else do you want to do?

I want to get rid of languages that I dont use, but I'm afraid I'll mess things up by using monolingual. I also want to get rid of some of the programs that came up with OSX but I'm afraid I won't be able to get them back again ever...like comic life, i'm not really sure what the point of that app is. thanks so much

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I want to get rid of languages that I dont use, but I'm afraid I'll mess things up by using monolingual. I also want to get rid of some of the programs that came up with OSX but I'm afraid I won't be able to get them back again ever...like comic life, i'm not really sure what the point of that app is. thanks so much

Use Delocalizer for the languages...it hasn't been updated in a long time, but it still seems to be working just fine, even on Intel Macs. And it doesn't touch anything having to do with Rosetta.

You can always get apps off of your install discs again, either through a custom install or using an app called Pacifist to extract them from the disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.