How do I get 3G on my unlocked iPhone 4 on tmobile

PooswaJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
I don't understand why I don't get 3G already. I know I'm in a 3G area because that's what data I had on my myTouch 4g. If someone could help me out that would be awesome

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I don't understand why I don't get 3G already. I know I'm in a 3G area because that's what data I had on my myTouch 4g. If someone could help me out that would be awesome
Do you have 3G enabled? Have you updated the carrier settings? Also, do you know if you're in a refarmed T-Mobile area?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
MyTouch4G has a different baseband then the 4 the 4 doesnt support the same 3G frequencies as your mytouch 4G

PooswaJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
3G is enabled and I got the update yesterday. I get 3G sometimes but it is very spotty.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can get a new iphone 5 from tmobile and get 3G everywhere or stick with your iphone 4 and get spotty 3G coverage in some places only.
Up to you.
Its a hardware limitation with your iphone 4 that's not compatible with the nonrefarmed areas or Tmobiles 3G.
That's why you're stuck with 2G Edge in most places.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
To add to what has already been said, if you are getting spotty coverage, that likely means that the refarm in your area is in the process of being rolled out. If you plan to stick with the 4, there is nothing you can do except wait.