How do I get 5 day forecast on stock Weather widget ?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Tig Bitties, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I am using the stock iOS Weather widget, I have it setup to my home town. When I first installed it, I recall for the first day or two when I had it "Show More" it would display the current temp on the top, and then the 5 day forecast below that.

But since then, this past week, it's showing me the hourly temps on the bottom, and not the 5 day anymore.

Is there a way to change back to show the foreacst ?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think I've ever seen it show upcoming days, just hours. Big part of the reason why I use another weather widget from BeWeather2.

3. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Mine shows the current temp, the hourly temps and a 9 day forecast. I rarely use it as there are much better than weather apps out there.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

The widget shows a 9 day forecast?

5. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I don't like to have GPS running in background it wastes battery. What weather apps can you manually enter the location without GPS enabled ?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

BeWeather2 has that option as well (the other big part of the main reason why I use it). Some other apps offer that ability too, like Weather Underground or AccuWeather and a few others.

7. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Hmm just installed both Weather Underground and Accu Weather. Set them both up added the widgets. And neither of them show new a 5 day forecast on the widget. They both just showed more details for the day.

8. C DM, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

Neither Weather Underground nor AccuWeather show upcoming days -- I mentioned those in relation to being able to select a desired location, rather than one that follows and uses location services.

As far as forecast for upcoming days in the widget, aside from the earlier mentioned BeWeather, a few weather apps mentioned at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/your-favorite-weather-app.1460978/page-8#post-23783245 include that.

9. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

So which weather widgets do show the 5 day forecast?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

11. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, here is what I have from the stock weather app:

Attached Files:

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's in the app itself, while the OP is talking about the widget.

13. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Reading every word would be helpful.

14. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

The website version of Weather Underground shows very nice multi-day forecasts with excellent graphics, and I use them daily from my iMac. But I too have been disappointed with their lack of same on iOS. Don't understand why this limitation exists.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

They have forecasts for upcoming days in the iOS app as well, just not in the widget.

16. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Just shocked the stock weather widget doesn't display the 5 day forecast on the widget as opposed to the hourly temps. Who the heck cares about hour by hour temps instead of the 5 day forecast instead ?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm sure there are all kinds of people that do, but upcoming daily forecasts would definitely be useful to have there.

18. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I actually use two apps for weather, and both have an extended forecast widget: Dark Sky, and eWeather HD. Dark Sky is good for extremely localized weather, but uses GPS. eWeather HD allows you to choose a location in the app. Both are paid apps, and both have proven themselves accurate over several years of use (US location).

19. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I get the hourly temps. Let's people plan their day....clothes, rain gear, kids dressed for school. If you need the 5 day, just tap the widget and it goes right to the app, pretty simple IMO.

20. CopyChief macrumors regular

I use Dark Sky, which is a great app and also has 5-day forecasts in the widget. At least in the US I've found their forecasts to be a little on the inaccurate side at times (overstating snows, tending toward extreme cold or hot temps) but I think that's because of the particular forecasting model they use.