How do I get a data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dapetrun, Jun 1, 2012.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

So, I've got this new iPad 3 with 4 LTE capability from Verizon (but bought through Apple) and in setting up the data plan it asks for a credit card number and billing address along with the devices cellular number. I don't have a cellular number. Under Settings, General, About, it says cellular number unknown. I guess this means I have to call Verizon Wireless to have them set up the account? Is this correct? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not sure why you have a field for cellular telephone number. Assuming Apple's documentation is correct, see if this article is still applicable.

3. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yep, that is the exact screen I get but I don't get as far as the Verizon Terms of Service agreement because it wants me to insert a cellular number for the device. Evidently, the iPad 3 from Apple doesn't ship with one.

Anyone else run into this problem?

4. bjpad2 macrumors member

I just went through the process with AT&T for my ipad 2. It asks for name and phone number, I think this is your home phone number, cellphone, whatever you use as your permanent contact phone number. That's what I put in.

After going through the process of entering a credit card number and such, I received an email and I was surprised to see that in the email there was a cellular phone number assigned for my ipad! (I don't know what it will use a phone number for.)

I don't know how long it takes for this to take affect in their billing center. My email came 18 minutes ago and my data connection still doesn't work (the ipad tells me that I have not subscribed to a cellular data service).

5. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

You are correct. After multiple attempts, one where it told me I was using the wrong name for the credit card, it finally accepted my entry when I gave it our old fax number (no longer used). I accepted the terms of agreement and it is currently processing my accounts data plan. It says that it may take up to :15 minutes.

This is the first time I've ever had trouble trying to give my wireless carrier my money!!!! Usually, they oblige my purchases immediately. Go figure.

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated, as always...

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Are you jailbroken by any chance? If not, try rebooting the ipad.

7. bjpad2, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

bjpad2 macrumors member

I was at work, I finally had to turn off the ipad and leave. At home 4 hours later I turn the ipad back on and I get a notification that the account is activated, I still don't know how long this took. BUT I still can't get the browser or email to connect to the cellular network. It still tells me that I have not subscribed. I go to settings>cellular data>account and it shows that my account is active and I have plenty of data purchased. I leave that, go to the browser, and it still says I have not subscribed to a cellular data plan.

added this:
    I did a lot of internet searching and found that this problem seems to come up a lot when people try switching SIM cards from one phone to another, sometimes from one carrier to another. None of this applies to me- my ipad was bought from an Apple store for use on ATT's network, I created the data account on ATT through the settings on the ipad. I couldn't find anyone that talked about a problem similar to mine.

8. bjpad2 macrumors member

Here is an update-
    After much searching I decided that this problem with an unmolested device was very rare so I called customer support. They could not see that the SIM card was trying to register itself so they told me to go to an ATT corporate store to get a new SIM card. This is an almost new ipad 2 purchased from an Apple store, I have never even taken the SIM card out, so I don't understand why the original one doesn't work.

This is unfortunate and a big pain for me because I activated my cellular plan in preparation for upcoming travel. On my route there is only ONE ATT corporate store so I will have to try to detour and visit that store. If I can't get the cellular data to work then I will have spent one month's cost of data plan in vain.