How do I get a gold iPhone 5S Verizon Device only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Nov 6, 2013.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Hey guys. So basically, I have no idea how to get a gold 5S Verizon.

Since I am due for an upgrade, I cannot order online from Apple.com or Verizon. I called and spoke to several apple managers who cannot bypass it.

I cannot reserve and use my upgrade, then return the phone since it burns the IMEI number. My local Best buy will not take reservations and they havent received any gold in over a month.

I cannot go to a Verizon store, as they want me to use my upgrade as well. My local Apple store has not received any gold iPhones since October 6. I check every inventory tracker there is literally all day, check Apples site and no gold anywhere.

Is there anything possible to get this? It seems like a myth phone. My local Apple store does not even have one on display...

Maybe I can open an account with Verizon, then I have like 3 days to cancel service, but wont they force me to return phone? Does anyone know anything?

2. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

Buy it off craigslist/ebay?

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for replying but Im not comfortable paying a 400 premium.

4. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Why can't you just do a verizon upgrade on Apple.com and wait 3 weeks? Or cancel your current contract instead of taking an upgrade and take out a new one?

6. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I am also eligible for an upgrade with Verizon. I ordered mine full price device only through Verizon's website. You have to step through their website it a very particular order to get it to work.

I logged into My Verizon, then selected "Manage my device". Then you select "upgrade my device" on the next screen. Then you pick the device you want to upgrade (if you have more than one phone on the account). From there it takes you to the phone shopping page and you navigate to the Iphone 5S. Click through on the text "Apple Iphone 5S" to see all the purchase options. Then you can select the $649 "month to month" price. Follow the rest of the steps and you are good to go. You will have to wait for it to ship, but you have already been waiting, so this way you are at least garanteed one at some point.

I just ran through these steps a few minutes ago, and this method is still valid. It will let me order a device only 5S.

7. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

This ends up running my credit though.

Just to note. I currently do not have a VZ account.

8. Jades macrumors 6502

Just start a new line of service with the cheapest available plan and no features. Call verizon after that and tell them you'd like to terminate the service and you'll be paying the early termination fee instead of returning the phone.

They'll have no issue with that. I've done it twice already

You actually save a few dollars but it's just the time it takes to get it done

9. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

There seems to be a VZ drought in my area for all colors & sizes since Fri.

10. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I believe you are right. my local Apple store just got gold in AT&T sprint and T mobile in every GB. None in Verizon. 0 for space gray and silver as well.

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Some apple stores will sell you device only. I bought my AT&T iPhone Space Grey on launch day device only and it was unlocked the moment i activated thru iTunes.

12. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Finally over for me. Walked into Arden Apple, store pickup said no golds in stock, asked for 32GB gold Verizon, he had a few left, paid full price at 6pm. No shipment came in he said, too. Dont always trust the reservation thing btw.