How Do I Get Album Art???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by strang5, Oct 1, 2007.

1. strang5 macrumors newbie

I just placed Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd on my Ipod Touch. This is an album I have owned and wanted it to be the first on the Touch. All the tracks transferred fine, however, there is no album cover art when I browse my albums on the Touch. How do I go about getting the album cover art onto the iPod???

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Was the album art already in place in iTunes on your PC/Mac? If so, something went wrong. If it isn't on there, you'll have to get it yourself manually or automatically through iTunes (if they have it).

3. dantega macrumors newbie

Getting album artworks

You also have to make sure the title, album and artist are the right ones otherwise iTunes won't provide you with any album artwork... and one more thing, in order to get this covers from iTunes database you need to be registered in online store.

good luck :)

Dante
    www.aventurasdeuningeniero.com
    -----
    iPod Touch
    Bought on 28/09/07
    Capacity: 16GB

4. strang5 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is MY CD that I own. I did not buy it from iTunes. I just wanted to transfer it onto my brand new iTouch so that I could see the Coverflow work. All it shows is a musical icon instead of the true album cover. Repeat, this is my album, not just the tracks off some other source. Is there a way that I can obtain the album art somewhere??? And then how do I go about transferring that to the iTouch??

5. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

In iTunes, right click then "Get Album Artwork"

Otherwise you can use something like http://www.albumart.org then right click on the song and choose "Get Info" then click on the Artwork tab and copy/paste it in.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ok, so it sounds like you have to do it manually (unless it does work by retrieving it through iTunes).

1. Find the image of the Album artwork (google images is a good place to look as well as other sources listed above)
    2. Select all songs in that album in iTunes.
    3. Right Click to "Get Info"
    4. Move the album art image that you found (drag and drop on mac, not sure about PC... might have to save the image to the hard drive) into the "artwork" box.
    5. Click done
    6. Resync your touch and you should get the artwork.

I hope that's clear. This is what I do. Shoot me a PM if something doesn't make sense or my instructions don't work.

7. strang5 thread starter macrumors newbie

In iTunes, I managed to see the artwork only when highlighting a track, but when I highlight the album in the left pane, it says Album Artwork Not Modifiable and still no go on the iPod

8. strang5 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

If it works in iTunes but not on your iPod, something is wrong with your iPod... restore and try again is the only thing I can say. For iTunes, it only shows the album artwork for the first song in the album, so maybe you only put the album artwork onto a few but not the first of the album? Just click on the first song in the list, go to "Get info", click on the last tab, and try manually adding the artwork and hitting next for every song?

10. lena, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

lena macrumors newbie

iTunes will show album artwork for all of the songs in an album - depending on how you set up the artwork. This may be helpful: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iTunesMac/7.4/en/15298.html

11. bektravels macrumors regular

This guy's right, that's exactly what I do too...

12. richardhunt macrumors regular

I use amazon and save the album art after I do a search for it. I have yet to find a CD that didn't show up in Amazon.

13. sJv macrumors regular

Between iTunes and Amazon, this covered about 90% of my collection. I use a free tool called Art Collector on my Mac to grab artwork from Amazon if iTunes couldn't find it.

http://specere.net/artcollector.php

One other tidbit - iTunes normally stores artwork in it's own database, and NOT into the song file itself. If you have multiple computers using the same set of songs, the album art will not be seen by the other computers. This is also true if you are copying songs from one computer to another - the artwork wil not go with them. I use an Applescript (from Dougs Applescripts website) to push the artwork into the ID3 tags. iTunes will pick up artwork from ID3 tags, and now the artworks travels with the song files.

-steve

14. strang5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your advice. I have got it figured out. You can get artwork more easily by doing it the iTunes Library first, then sync the iPod Touch.

15. tobenning macrumors member