How do I get an early iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carves, Jul 16, 2014.

1. carves macrumors member

My 4S is ont it's last legs, but I'm holding out for the 6. I'm a student and still on my parent's account, who live in a different state.

What are my options for getting an iPhone 6 without waiting for months and months after it is available? Is there a way to preorder or something? I don't think waiting in front of the store would work because I'm not the primary on the account.

2. lelisa13p, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Nobody can know the answer to this yet. Wait for the announcement just like everyone else. We're all in the same boat.

I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 and it was delivered on Launch Day. Last year we were unpleasantly surprised to find that pre-ordering was not allowed. This year is a toss-up. I hope there will be pre-ordering again but nobody knows yet.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If they do preorders, get one in ASAP, which is like midnight to 3 am pacific the day they start.

But, since it's on your parents account, it will be shipped to them. You'll have to call Apple after it ships and have it rerouted to your address. I had to do that once when I was on AT&T. Worst case you get it a few days after it launches.

4. carves thread starter macrumors member

OK- so just ask my parents to place an order the first possible day and then have them ship it to me when they get it. If I place an order, say, 12-18 hours after opening does that generally push delivery back a few weeks?

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Does Apple still only ship to the purchaser's billing address when a new iPhone launches?

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

When I did it last fall with the 5s on AT&T, yes.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you don't get your order in in the first hour or two, yes, it will get pushed back by weeks. And it doesn't come online until midnight PST, so if you're in the US, you'll need to order in the middle of the night.

And that's assuming they even do a preorder this year. They didn't last year, but did for the iPhone 5.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I asked because I live in Maryland and my girlfriend lives in Utah. When I preordered the iPhone 5, I went to my credit union and asked if I could temporarily change my billing address to her address so I could get the 5 while I was out visiting her. They told me no problem and that I could just change it right back when I got home. Really easy.

9. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I pre-ordered mine at 7am on the east coast and got mine launch day.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Yep. Taking off work and avoiding all social contact on preorder day, assuming they let us preorder.

I'm such a dweeb - and I'm 58.

11. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing pre orders will be back to normal this year
    Last year they had to make the 5c too so stocks wernt like previous years.

12. Th3taJ macrumors member

Th3taJ

Just keep your current iPhone until its unusable.

By the time you get to that point the iPhone 6S will most likely be available.

This is what I do with all apple devices and I still have a working iPod from 2005. :cool:

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Get the required password and other info from your parents and order when orders open via the Internet. Re-rout to your address after shipped and you are good to go the day of introduction.

The 6 is going to be a big upgrade so do not waste time when the time comes.

14. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, in order to have one on launch day or soon after, your two options are either to A) stand in line at the Apple store on launch day (even later in the day is ok, the stores generally have enough to make it through launch day without running out), or B) ordering it within the first few hours of online orders going live.

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you want to be one of the first ones in the queue to get the iPhone 6, first you have to wait for Apple to announce the device. Only then will you know the actual sale date.

Generally, you'll need to line up early at either Apple or carrier stores. Otherwise, if you miss out on the first batch, you'll need to just keep checking back, since shipments do trickle into most stores on a daily basis. The main issue is that they might not have the capacity, color, or carrier model you want.

If you don't want to lineup, then you'll need to log onto Apple's site (usually midnight Pacific Time) and get in early. Suggestions I've seen include logging into your Apple ID before the site goes live at midnight and making sure that the billing address and credit card info are current.

Last year, the site went live a few minutes late, I completed the entire transaction in less than 5 minutes. Ordered the phone Monday morning, and it arrived on Thursday.

After placing the order, I checked back about an hour later, and all of the shipping dates were getting pushed back for the T-Mobile unlocked models, but still readily available in space gray on AT&T and Verizon. By the next morning, all of the models were getting pushed back. But, the ones reporting the longest delays (i.e., shipping in "October") were generally the 64GB models, the unlocked T-Mobile models, and the gold colored phones.

It seems that if you go with the black color and lower capacity, you'll get it sooner. Last year, the gold colored phones got pushed into November for some who ordered on the first day.

New iPhones generate a lot of demand, but it really varies.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Idk about other carriers but att lets you upgrade even if you aren't the primary, just make your self authorized and you have an upgrade on that line.

17. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Just buy through the apple store app as soon as orders go live and log in and purchase with your Apple ID and it'll be shipped to your address, no need for rerouting anything. I did this last year, I'm on my brother's account and it shipped to my address not his.

18. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This.

A lot of android folks are going to come back for the larger screen, and there are still lots of people on 4-series phones that are on their last legs. There will be huge demand for this phone.

If you want the iPhone 6 on launch day don't screw around. Get the login/pass from your folks, set your alarm for shortly before midnight (3AM EST) and start banging away at that refresh button.

Last year with the 5S, it took all of 30 minutes for ship dates to get pushed out 3 weeks. And that was mainly due to shortages. No telling what things will be like if the screen is completely sapphire.

19. carves thread starter macrumors member

Really!? Is that at a subsidized rate, or did you have to pay full price? My Apple ID is linked to my verizon account, so they know an upgrade-price phone is available?

I was due for my 2-year upgrade last march, but I'm really holding out for a 5.5" loaded phone.

20. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Well, unlike with the iPhone 5s where we could only ORDER it, hopefully, as Apple are making 60 million units, we'll be able to PRE-ORDER it. That way, you'll get it on release day.

21. Newtons Apple, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are waiting for the 5.5" phone, you can relax as it will not be released with the iPhone 6 in September.

EDIT: Just heard that the iPhone 6 will start production this month and the 5,5 version will start production next month, SO, I stand corrected and the 5.5 version could be just around the corner for YOU!

22. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It's at a subsidized price, when you use the app you have to put in your account information. I don't know what's required for Verizon but for sprint all I needed was the phone number for the upgrade line and the four digit pin or the last four digits of the social security of the main account holder.

23. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

For the 5s release, that only occurred for certain configurations like the T-Mobile/unlocked, 64 GB, and gold colored models. Even an hour after the Apple Store site went live, I still saw shipping dates of "1 to 3 days" for most space gray configurations. By 8am, most configurations showed "7 to 10 days" with the higher demand (or lower supplied) configurations showing "October" for the ship date.

No telling how Apple might redistribute the availability with the iPhone 6 launch, but the 5s release at least showed the following patterns with availability:

AT&T>Verizon>Sprint>T-Mobile
    16 GB>32GB>64GB
    Space gray>White>Gold

Agree that the demand for the iPhone 6 could trounce every past launch by a wide margin because of former iOS users coming back to the platform for the larger screen option.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm hoping they do pre-orders as I want a gold one this time and even though I waited in line, I was not one of the first 10, so no luck.

Didn't want Space Gray last time and don't want it this time. :(

I may actually be working this year on Launch Day, so that's why I want to pre-order.

25. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Be the first person in line at your carrier or Apple store and you one first. If you want to wait that long.