How do I get an unlocked iPhone4 in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Jun 13, 2010.

1. iFanboy Guest

Somewhat generic question.

I'm on Vodafone UK sim only 30 day rolling contract. So I can essentially have any phone as long as I buy it. Currently have BB 9700

The only problem I see with getting the iPhone4 is that from the apple website/store it appears that they only sell O2 or Orange locked handsets.

I know Vodafone have the iPhone now, but don't know when/if they'll be selling them without a 12/24 month contract.

So, how do I get an unlocked iPhone4 on release day? Surely if I run down to the apple store i'll get a handset that wont work with my Vodafone Sim card?

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

buy an o2 locked payasyougo and then get it unlocked ?

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It's too early to know exact options yet, but following last year, o2 is likely to be a good bet, as current policies allow unlocking PAYG handset from day 1, unlike orange PAYG. But it remains to be seen what this years extra additions add to fray. I'd wager there might even be a small chance they're all unlocked in UK now to aid logistics, being over 5, possibly 6 carriers.

4. iFanboy thread starter Guest

I can do that? Without the iphone dev team I mean......?

How?

5. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

When you get your iPhone with the O2 PAYG sim, make 2 chargeable calls longer than 10 seconds and make sure you have at least £15 of credit. Submit the unlock request on O2's website, and it should take no longer than 2 weeks for the unlock to be complete.

6. iFanboy thread starter Guest

2....WEEKS? :eek:

So not a fully functional unlocked iPhone4 on release day then? :(

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

That's my plan too!

Many members on the forum have been saying it only took 3 days, not the 14 they mention. Hopefully they'll be able to deal with the large number of people unlocking if this is an option

8. animatedude macrumors 65816

yea i'm planning to visit the UK later this month or July and i would love to buy an unlocked iPhone there...i thought there's only 2 carriers for the iPhone there,since when it's 6 carriers? if it's really 6 carriers then the chances of unlocked iPhone is high..

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's not 2 weeks, it's UP TO 2 weeks. It's usually pretty quick.

10. flipshot macrumors 6502a

There has been 4 since early this year, 2 more have come on board since the iPhone 4 was announced.

I don't think it increased the chance of buying one unlocked. All the networks have locked handsets, none of them are known for having unlocked handsets.

11. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

This will be the option I'll be going for too since I'm happy with T-Mobile atm.

But can anyone confirm that O2 will sell iPhone 4 on PAYG on release date because for the 3GS they were released at a later date weren't they?

12. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

It will be available from release date ;)

13. JadedBen macrumors regular

I filled in the O2 unlock form to unlock my 3G on Thursday afternoon, I got the confirmation txt that it was unlocked yesterday morning!

Though it took 5 days to unlock my 3GS, so yeah, pretty random how long it'll take, but it's unlikely it would happen same or next day.

Hopefully it'll be the same on the 4, then i can get a Vodafone sim!

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Vodafone microsim you mean.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

t-mobile will be selling iphone 4's too. all the providers will be. though unknown wether the others will be doing PAYG yet. should know full details by tuesday hopefully.

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Virgin is one of the major providers not offering the iPhone.

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I guess I did mainly mean the primary providers, who own the networks, but yes, virgin is probably the biggest known provider that has not announced anything yet.

18. jloyd macrumors newbie

Don't think its out on 3 Network either is it?

19. ADMProducer macrumors regular

It's fast. I'm on an O2 contract and it's free for contracted customers.

I bought a 16gb 3GS and unlocked that, look 1 day for it to be unlocked. The I bought a 32gb, took a day also to unlock that.

I never had any intention to use them unlocked, but in the future to be able to sell them on ebay as officially unlocked thus boosting its market value.

20. afd macrumors 6502a

I got a replacement 3g last month from the apple store. When I put in a Three SIM (I'm on an o2 contract and had my original iPhone unlocked) it asked me to connect to iTunes and it got unlocked. Would this happen if I got a PAYG iPhone 4, or do I have to activate it as aPAYG first?

21. afd macrumors 6502a

Now that I think about it, the genius ativated the phone in the store, a PAYG phone probably wouldn't be activated out of the box?

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

it will be, they announced at the end of last week.

23. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

no iphone is activated out of box, without being paired with a sim it accepts, even unlocked ones I believe. though obviously, with an unlocked phone any sim at all is valid for activating.

24. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Thanks! Buying from the apple store and getting O2 to unlock it :)

25. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'd wait just a bit more to know full details, though that will certainly be a 'safe' likely option, but someone here noted iphone spec now says "iPhone may be configured to work only with the wireless services of a single wireless service provider." for UK ones, so it may in fact be unlocked from word go in some circumstances, no way to know yet!