How Do I Get Apple to Replace My MBP for Free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by munchkins007, Feb 6, 2012.

1. munchkins007 macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 15" MBP that I got in August. Within the first couple of months I started to experience problems with it ranging from the keyboard not working, to the lid making clicking noises to everything in between. That Christmas I got AppleCare. Recently I just got my main logic board replaced as well as a heatsink assembly. It was all confirmed to be hardware failure and at no fault of mine. Currently my computer has been experiencing the problem of being slow and when I say slow I mean, SLOW. Everything I touch makes it have the pinwheel icon and it will take five minutes to just have a menu pop down or to save a document. I called Apple and they had me delete some files and it made the computer back to normal until today when it started to do it again. I currently do not have my installation disk on me and therefor they cannot do anything without it, however, I am so sick of this back and forth stuff. The closest Apple store is an hour and a half away from where I live and I go to school in a different state of which the closest store is two hours away. I need my computer for school every day and do not have the time for it to get shipped, fixed and then shipped back. I am just wondering if it was at all possible to just have them give me a new computer and how I could get them to do that.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would call AppleCare ask for a manager and build your case for why they should send you a replace and be persistent with it. All those problems - they owe you a new machine. IMHO

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

When I have a problem with my Apple stuff, I immediately go to the Genius Bar and ask politely for a replacement, as the problem is interfering with my productivity. Never fails. I would just tell them the entire history of your Mac's problems, along with archived emails that support your claims.

4. munchkins007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it would be possible to convince them over the phone? I leave for vacation tomorrow and then back to school this next Sunday and have no time to go down to the store. And any tips on what to say? I have given my history before and all they say is "well we will see what we can do about the current problem and if there are any more after that just give us a call". Just goes round in a circle...

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. I've had NO luck getting them to replace my MBP. AppleCare repairs include: HDD, battery, logic board, display assembly (x3 for dust and creaking issues), topcase assembly (x2), optical drive, and the MagSafe board. I asked for a replacement before the last repair (topcase, display assembly and logic board) but they said no. Next time I need it to be repaired, I will be sure not to leave without getting a replacement. This is ridiculous. My MBP has had the most problems I've ever heard of happening to one computer.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The time you are on vacation would have been the perfect time to send the MBP in for service. You will simply have to bite the bullet and be without it if you have any hope of a repair. It would be very difficult to talk them into replacing a machine that they have not examined. I have had two machines replaced, so I speak from experience.

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, I remember when paragraphs were still in style.

8. trikky macrumors regular

Maybe the MBP's paragraph modulation chip is defective...

9. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

One needs to let apple go through their "process". I personally think it is ridiculous for one to expect Apple to replace their laptop on the first or second attempt for repair. That statement is not directed to anyone.

Now if you need to keep taking it in for the same exact issue, that is when I would put my foot down. So all Apple tech's I have dealt with actually have common sense.

10. eron macrumors 6502

If you have kept going in for repairs, and have done so for more than 5 times, give AppleCare a call.

Let them know you still have 'a problem'. They might offer that if you bring it to a Genius bar, and the problem is verified, they might replace it.

From my experience, the Genius bar has little authority in giving free replacements.