How do I get applecare after purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by negrohero9, Sep 28, 2012.

1. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

I bought my iPhone 5 but didnt have enough money to buy the applecare+ that day and was told I have 30 days to purchase it. How do I go about doing that?

2. Kung macrumors member

You can easily buy it; however, unless you want to (or can) have an Apple Retail store inspect it, you'll need to call support to ask them to assist you in purchasing it.

I simply called and told them the truth - bought the phone, didn't try to buy Applecare till the next day, realized you had to have it inspected, but I live 150 miles from a retail store.

They asked me to describe the condition it was in; I told them perfect and offered pics if they wanted it. They said "naaah, not needed" and sold it to me. :)

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

anyone know how long you have to buy it? i assume if they inspect it it doesnt matter how long you have had it?

4. negrohero9 thread starter macrumors regular

negrohero9

Thanks i will just do that then. Is it still $99 or is it more since I didn't buy it that day?

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Just go into the Apple Store and buy it. It will help if you have your receipt from when you bought the iPhone.

They looked at my receipt, asked to see the phone, had me turn it on and go to the settings and pull up the info and checked to see that the serial number matched that of the receipt and that was it.

6. Kung macrumors member

Same price. :)

7. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

I have bought AppleCare for all my products and you don't have to buy it at the store all you have to do is call Applecare and have it added and give them a credit card that all they do is ask you for your serial number it's as easy as that

I live 2.5 miles from an Apple store and I have never had to take my product there to have them inspect it again all I do is call AppleCare and they add it to my phone. 1-800-275-2273

The price is $99 and if you sell your phone during the two-year period of coverage you can get also a refund for the portion of the unused part of the warranty. I sold my 4s and received a $47.54 refund on Applecare plus warranty for that phone .

8. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

This... I literally just did this.

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i called and they didn't even ask me the condition of my phone. i guess they assumed it was working because i was calling from it lol.

10. big samm macrumors 65816

I bought the phone on launch day sep/20 then went to the apple store on sep/24 and got apple care+ it took 5 min and bought the apple leather case at the same time

11. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Hmmm...I called Apple support on an upgrade issue yesterday after my iPhone 5S arrived and during the call I was asked if I wanted to purchase Applecare. I said yes, because it would save a drive into Dallas. I usually purchase my phone in the store and get Applecare at the same time, but having it delivered was a lot better this time around. :cool:

Apple support put me on hold, and when they came back said I needed to wait 80 hours before I could purchase Applecare - but that they would call me back when I became eligible to make the purchase.

Just wondering if this is normal?
    (Felt strange for Apple to refuse to take my money!)

Anyway, will drive into Dallas later this week to check out some of the car chargers and get Applecare at the same time, so no biggy, just a'wonderin.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The OP (as well as the Apple site if you want to verify) has your answer.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

since BFizzle posted over a year ago, the thirty day window has long expired in his case... :D

14. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I just got AppleCare+ over the phone today. They sent me am email and ran a quick diagnostic and said ok. It was sweet.

15. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Same exact thing here lol Funny thing was I paid for it and was thinking hmmm I dont guess the diagnostics was really REQUIRED as stated on the website but I kept checking and checking my email and I had began to think maybe she put the wrong email address in the system then I got a phone call from california and it was the same lady she said ohh Apple said that I must have you run a diagnostic on your phone to make sure your screens not cracked? Anyways they send me a message and I opened it and sent a extended test and they said ok it went through and I got my confirmation email shortly thereafter! My iphone truly is MINT but do u think they can tell if the screen is cracked? On one hand I wouldnt doubt it but on the other IDK

16. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Did mine over the phone also. They sent me a text which began the diagnostic test. For some reason, even though my phone passed the test, the computer said it wasn't eligible. A supervisor had to do it manually. They weren't sure why it wouldn't work.