How do i get boot camp back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zlswoosh, Apr 20, 2010.

1. zlswoosh macrumors newbie

Current Problem: When I try and partition it with boot camp assistant, it just freezes my laptop.

I have a mac book and the OS X. Boot camp should be with the OS X, but it isn't there. I figure I must have deleted it at 1 point but how do I get it back? I have already tried entering in disc 1, but it wasn't there under applications. Do i have to reinstall OS X all together? Last time i tried that it said the disc was unreadable. I'm a computer idiot so if you can help me please give me all the necessary info and any links if they are needed. Thank you so much in advance!

PS: Version 10.5.8

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you know what version of Mac OS X your running? Did you look in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder who Boot Camp Assistant?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked in spotlight and it didnt come up. Version 10.5.8. At least thats what it said when i opened "about this mac"

5. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked this out and you have to pay for it. If i already have OS X then boot camp should be free.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's Shareware not a trial.
    You can use it, it is an often recommended application and I just tried it for myself, and it works. You just have to wait for the NOT YET button to appear.
    Then select the DVD, let it scan and then choose Boot Camp.

7. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

8. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

im a bit confused on the select DVD let it scan and choose boot camp. When does it scan?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Click Open Package and select the .pkg file. The icon looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Without the loupe and PACIFIST text though.

It will then scan.

10. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a lot of .pkg files, which one do i open? if its the boot camp.pkg it isn't there.

I've got boot camp assistant now, but when i attempt to partition it, it just freezes my laptop.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, I just selected Optional Installs / Optional Install.mpg and it is still scanning.

But I found Boot Camp.pkg.

Open Terminal, enter
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    to show hidden files in Finder, relaunch Finder the Force Quit dialog (CMD+OPTION/ALT+ESC), browse the Snow Leopard DVD to System / Installation / Packages / Boot Camp.pkg.

But from the look of it, Pacifist also scans that folder and Boot Camp will show up. It currently scans the printer driver packages, which reside in the same folder as Boot Camp.pkg.

So either wait a while or use the show hidden files feature.

[​IMG]

The scanning has finished but Boot Camp does not show up there. Hmm, seems you have to go the show hidden files route.

To hide those files again, use
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    relaunch Finder and you're good to go.

12. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

But from the look of it, Pacifist also scans that folder and Boot Camp will show up. It currently scans the printer driver packages, which reside in the same folder as Boot Camp.pkg.

So either wait a while or use the show hidden files feature.

The scanning has finished but Boot Camp does not show up there. Hmm, seems you have to go the show hidden files route.

To hide those files again, use
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    relaunch Finder and you're good to go.
    ---------------------

I'm good up until this point. I got terminal and all that working, but what do i do when it shows me the contents of Boot camp. How do i know when it is done scanning? And do i need to extract or install the file?

P.S. If i have boot camp assistant installer, does that mean im done? and if so, when i try to partition the disk, my comp just freezes.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can quote via the [​IMG] button.

As I said in my post, Pacifist didn't find the Boot Camp install package on my DVD, thus I used the show hidden files feature.

With that I just double click on the installer and install Boot Camp.

I don't know why your computer freezes, what software do you use to partition?