How do I get Boot Camp to partition without an install disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So I've been trying to re-install windows, but BOTH my mac pro's superdrives are down. I have a working USB installer of win 7, but bootcamp, in all it's infinite wisdom, doesn't recognize usb disks. It refuses to start the partitioning process without an install disc inserted. Kind of hard on, say, a MBA, right? So why no joy on my sad MP? :(

2. Barnzee, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Barnzee macrumors regular

The Macbook Air should be able to install windows using the external superdrive accessory, but i'm not sure because I don't own one.

As for installing Windows without a superdrive....mmm thats a tough one. I wish I could be more help. :( I personally would just buy new superdrive or repair the one on your Mac Pro.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I'm gonna try to target disk my laptop into acting as a superdrive... see where that gets me. :eek:

I know once I have the drive partitioned I can install windows with the USB... it's just overcoming boot camp's requirement for a disc that's an issue!

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've read up about people who installed rEFIt onto their MacBook Airs when installing Windows, because it allowed them to boot from a USB drive and install Windows from it. After everything had been installed, rEFIt can be removed and use the standard boot manager of the computer.