How do I get client mode to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benjaminbr, Jun 24, 2008.

1. benjaminbr macrumors member

I am trying to get my Airport Express to connect to my campus network as a client but I can't figure out how to do it?

There are two different networks to connect to:

1) A web-browser authenticated access point
    2) A WEP protected access point

I'm guessing my best bet is the WEP option since I doubt the AP express supports web authentication, but where do I enter my user/pass in the AP admin utility? Is it even an option? I just want it as a client so I can stream to my soundsystem. Any help?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, using the Airport utility, you can go into manual mode and under the Wireless tab you can change between "Join a wireless network" where you can connect your computer to the wired port and use the Express as a wireless card with an ethernet cable. Or the "Participate in a WDS network" which will make your Express into a repeater for a current wireless connection and you will connect wirelessly to your Express which will be connected wirelessly to the school network.

To input your password you need to change the "Wireless Security" to the security that your school uses and input the username and password to connect to that wireless access point.

Attached Files:

3. benjaminbr thread starter macrumors member

I see the thumbnail you posted and that is exactly where I get stuck: It asks for my password to join the network but not my username, which is why I think it is not connecting.

Bellow is how I should configure my macbook to connect
    [​IMG]

The AP config window doesn't have a box for a username, see?

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Hold on a second, are you trying to just connect your laptop to a network, or are you trying to connect the Airport Express. This, is the AirPort Express:http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ The AirPort Utility, the program used to edit the Airport Express, is in the Applications/Utilities folder. You are configuring your laptops internet connection with the box you are showing. And I do see a spot to put in your username for the picture you have shown.

5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The Airport Express does not support using 802.1x authentication when joining an existing wireless network. You will not be able to use it in this way.