How do I get Data (iTunes, etc) From my Old Mac to My New Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by $MacUser$, Dec 12, 2007.

1. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

The question is pretty self explanatory. I'm currently on a Powerbook G4, which is a fantastic machine, but I'm picking up a Mac-Mini and really don't need the 'book anymore, so I'm selling it off. However, I have about 15 gig of music and a bunch of documents on this machine that I want to get to the Mini. The documents only amount to about 300MB, so I can transfer them with a flash drive, but I have no idea how to transfer the iTunes. Can I just connect a firewire between the two machines and drag and drop, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm running Power PC Tiger on the Powerbook, and I'll be running x86 Leopard on the Mini, so I'm not sure if that will make things more difficult.

Thanks for your time,

JB

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

when you first start the Mini, it will ask if you have an another Mac you want to transfer data from. Say yes, hook a Firewire cable between the 2, and it will do all the transferring for you.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To clarify, you can't directly drag-and-drop, but you can hook up the Macs with Firewire, start up the old one with the T key held down (it won't boot normally, just display the firewire logo) and then you'll see it as a HD on the new Mac. If you do that when you first start up the new computer, when it tells you to, then it will take care of a lot of the moving for you.

But yeah, it'll tell you all of those instructions there, that's the easiest way to do it.

jW

4. $MacUser$ thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, but would that transfer all the data from my old computer? I just want the iTunes stuff, nothing else.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you can choose what you copy, otherwise following the following guide should help:

[guide]Copying Music from your old PC to new Mac[/guide]

And then disregarding the PC Specific options.