How do I get data turned off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doctajay, Oct 1, 2008.

1. doctajay macrumors member

I bought an iphone a while ago for myself and then I gave it to my wife. She doesn't use the internet. Is there any way to get it turned off. I called into AT&T and the lady said that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the data turned off on the iPhone. Has anyone found a successful way around this?

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

there's been several threads about this, might be kind of hard to find 'em in a search though.

long story short, a couple people claim to have done it, but most people seem to have had your experience when they've tried.

3. unixfool macrumors 6502a

There are quite a few threads that document how to do this (and also debates about it also)...try a search of the subject matter.

4. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

If you have a 3G, then NO. It's required to have a data plan per the contract agreement because the phone was subsidized. If you have a 2G (original iPhone), then yes, there is a way to shut it off, but you have to tell the AT&T person you're talking to that you aren't on a 3G data plan and it's the first gen phone. They hear iPhone, and automatically think 3G data plan. The first gen phones were not subsidized.

5. firewood macrumors 604

Is the 2 year contract for the voice plan or a data plan? Please quote from a legally binding AT&T document, not from what some random rep said.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Legally:
    Iphone 3g requires a $30 iphone data plan. If you are no longer using the iphone 3g, you are not required to continue to carry that data plan.

iPhone first generation also requies $20 iphone data/text (200 SMS) or $30 (data+1500 SMS) or $40 unlimited data/text.

Illegally:
    Just call ATT up and tell them you are no longer using the iphone 3g. Give them the IMEI of a reqgular phone to update their systems. Also tell them to block all internet data from the account. That way you won't face extra data charges if your wife accidently tries to use data.

You cannot remove the iphone data plans via OLAM. Only CS can remove them.

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You can turn off data online if you put your sim in another phone for a few days.

You can also jailbreak and turn off data with BossPrefs.

8. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Umm -that won't likely turn the DATA CHARGE off though :p

9. doctajay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys. I actually followed the advice above that is bolded. I realized its all in how you call them. You can't call in and say, "Hey, I have an iPhone and I want the data turned off," becuase of course the contract won't allow that (which is stupid). What I did was call in a 2nd time and I told the person immediately that I wanted a WIX BLOCK on my wife's #. She looked at my account and asked me whether she had an iphone, and I said no. She tried to change it but told me that the system won't let her when an iphone IMEI is present, so she asked me if I had a different IMEI to give her. I gave her an IMEI from a Tilt that I own. 7 minutes later data was completely turned off on my wife's account, the plan was removed, a regular non iphone text messaging plan as added back on, and I was good to go. It works.