iPod touch How do I get Dropbox on my iOS5 device?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LGM2, Dec 17, 2013.

1. LGM2 macrumors newbie

My jailbroken Touch is on iOS5. Unfortunately, I never downloaded an earlier version of Dropbox when I could, and the version in the iTunes store now is 3.x and incompatible with iOS5. I was able to download a Dropbox ipa file from a google search, but after installing it with iFunBox, the app simply closes. It won't open.

I tried Dropbox 1.5.5 as well as version 2.3.1 without success.

Anyone have an idea how I can get it to work with my Touch or what the problem is? I need it to sync an app I have on my Touch with another app on an Android device.

TIA

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Downloading it in the appstore should prompt you that this version is not compatible, but it will offer to download the last compatible version.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This. Sent from my iPhone 5.

4. LGM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for your prompt replies.

Unfortunately, I am not given that option. The only thing that pops up is this message:

This application requires iOS 7.0 or later. You must update to iOS7 in order to download and use this application.

I just tried it again to be sure.

Maybe only those on iOS6 are given that option? Or, are they penalizing me for being jailbroken?

When I sideload the Dropbox ipa, why won't it even open?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My guess would be that permissions are off. But that's just a guess. It may just not run on your iDevice.

Here's 2.3.2.
    I would use iFile to copy it over and unzip it as iFile will retain the permissions.

No guarantees.

----------

They are penalizing you for not being on iOS 7. I don't get this prompt either.

6. LGM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I downloaded your zip file with Safari and opened it with iFile, choosing to unarchive it. So now I have the original zip file and the unzipped folder on my Touch. How do I now install the dropbox app?

As for those messages, I had heard that Apple would let you download an older version, but is that working for others? Does it only work for those on iOS6? If so that stinks. :mad:

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You need to put the unzipped folder in the Applications folder: var/Mobile/Applications

I would suggest actually unzipping it IN that folder as moving it from it's current location can alter permissions.

Then you just need to get your Touch to recognize that it's installed. I'm sure a Google search can answer that or if you already know.

I did this myself a while back, but for a different app that was already installed so it was in the database already.

8. LGM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got Dropbox installed. I found an earlier version than the 3 previous ones I had tried to install unsuccessfully. I installed it via iFunBox. It is 1.4.6 in case anyone encounters the same issue. The later versions simply failed to open on my device. So I think the problem was simply that the versions I initially tried were incompatible.

Dropbox 1.4.6 is working perfectly. The reason it was important is that I was trying to sync 2Do between my Touch and Android devices. 2Do allows syncing either through the ToodleDo site or Dropbox. I first tried ToodleDo but items failed to sync properly. Finally it is all working smoothly via Dropbox. I hope now they never go out of business!

Thanks everyone for your help!

9. LGM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

So ... I was wondering why I never was given the option to install an earlier compatible version of Dropbox. For awhile I thought maybe they check and punish jailbreakers by denying that option. I googled for a more definitive answer and what I found was interesting.

If you have never before downloaded an app via iTunes on your PC/Mac or on your device, then when you try to download it later using your device you won't be given the option to download an older version. However, if you download it first via the iTunes store on your PC/Mac, even though it's not compatible with your device, then later when you attempt to download the app using your device you will be give the option to get the older version. So I tried this and it worked!

The version they downloaded to me is Dropbox 2.3.2. Don't know why the 2.3.1 version I tried to sideload initially would not work, but now I have what Apple considers is the latest one compatible with iOS 5.1.1.