Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
I guess I work with my hands more than your supposed to, so I have to redo my fingerprint ID daily for it to work. How can I get it work more consistently? I sure wish my Macbook had Face ID like my iPhone.

darita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and tried using all my fingers at one time or another, but it didn't work. I also tried using soft pressure, hard pressure and rubbing my finger on my face for the oil, but none of it worked. I'm hoping someone here has a creative idea that works. I currently use my PW, but it's long and I usually have to re-enter it to get it right. It would just be nice if the finger print worked.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Can I use other parts of my hands?
Try it. See if it works.

I just added the knuckle on the back of my index finger to my iPad mini 5, and it was accepted. I then tested it, and it was correctly recognized.

Repeatable placement of the body part on the sensor will be important, so pick something that doesn't involved too many contortions in order to contact the sensor. For example, I wouldn't use the tip of my nose, nor an ear.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
While I can't say the same is true for Macs. I've found in general. Fingerprint readers don't work well if your fingers are damp or too dry. Dry as in stripped of oils from too much hand washing.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
<---- sees no advantage in "fingerprint ID". When I got my 2021 MacBook Pro 14", I didn't even bother to activate it. Probably never will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.