How do I get GIMP to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickyj182, Apr 13, 2007.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

Ive downloaded GIMP, but what do I need to make it a working program? I also downloaded Fink. Help please!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Have you installed the X11 component from your original OS X disc? If not, then that is the problem.

Insert the disc, once it come up, open the image, and look for the components folder, maybe extras, should be on that main page, then start the package install, and select X11.

Not in front of my mac, or I would give you better instructions on how to do it.

Brian

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Install Disc 1. Scroll down to Optional Installs, follow the instructions, select your harddrive, continue. Expand Applications and at the bottom should be X11, click it and then continue the install. (Note: Mine says 0 bytes because i already installed it)

Brian please say that is a reference to the IT Crowd in your sig.

Attached Files:

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

1. Thanks for the assist on the instructions.

2. Thanks for catching the signature issue...duh..put quotes but not from what! Sorry, and fixed.

5. nickyj182 thread starter macrumors regular

nickyj182

I have installed X11, but i have downloaded GIMP, and the folder is full of random files pretty much. Theres an install-sh file but it asks what app i should use to open it with. any advice on how to get this to work?

6. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

You make it work by dragging it to your trash, emptying and downloading SeaShore instead.

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I haven't done Gimp, but I have GimpShop, based on gimp, but made to be more like Photoshop. You might try that, there is an OS X version, and it is just Drag to Applications install.

Best,

Brian