Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BestBuyBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
I know this is going to be one of those questions where people say.. good grief, this guy is an idiot.. But here goes.

I have an iPod and want to play it through my stereo. I am thinking I just buy a docking station with rca out and i'll plug it in to the aux in.

So what does air tunes do? Does that take the ipod and make it a whole house audio system. I seem to be missing this whole thing... Could I just use iTuines through a macbook and the bluetooth sends it out to the airtunes? I think I am missing this whole thing or something.. Thanks.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
iTunes uses the wireless capability of your computer in conjunction with an Airport Express wireless router near your stereo system. You play your music from your computer over the wireless network to your stereo system...more info here.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I know this is going to be one of those questions where people say.. good grief, this guy is an idiot.. But here goes.

I have an iPod and want to play it through my stereo. I am thinking I just buy a docking station with rca out and i'll plug it in to the aux in.

So what does air tunes do? Does that take the ipod and make it a whole house audio system. I seem to be missing this whole thing... Could I just use iTuines through a macbook and the bluetooth sends it out to the airtunes? I think I am missing this whole thing or something.. Thanks.

Airtunes sends music from your iTunes over WIFI to a Airport Express Base Station, no ipod on the equation, your computer + itunes has to be on and playing the track. You can get some remotes to do rudamentary controls via the USB port on the Airport.

Going the iPod route, it's already a copy of your itunes library, so using a simple Jack to 2 Phono lead won't make it a whole home solution but will be mac-less

Now you could purchase multiple airport express' and have them in different rooms and play them simultaneously via your mac but u'd need multiple computers to be able to make it a truely whole house system, not what the airport is intended for.

Look at some of the high end gear from Cyrus for whole home music servers and clients.

Bressler

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
If you are interested in getting high quality audio from iTunes to you stereo system, check out the Squeezebox from Slim Devices. It is certainly more expensive than a iPod cable, the the audio quality is fantastic.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
If you are going to connect your iPod straight to your stereo, I wouldn't suggest using the headphone-out port of the iPod. Instead, I would use the line-out-quality connection you can get through the iPod dock-port, either by using a iPod docking station or something like the SendStation.

Line-out > Headphone out when connecting audio sources to amplifiers.

BestBuyBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
One last thing... I am going to go the airport express. Just so I get this. I have my broadband connection coming in which goes to my cable modem. Now I have to still use the cable modem right and I go from the cable modem out to airport express in. Now for the stero... my receiver has only rca jacks on the back. Does the express cables have RCA cables because I havce no mini jack or anything in the back. And I can hook up my printer to it right> Its a HP 3015 laser printer with a USB connection. Thanks again!

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
One last thing... I am going to go the airport express. Just so I get this. I have my broadband connection coming in which goes to my cable modem. Now I have to still use the cable modem right and I go from the cable modem out to airport express in. Now for the stero... my receiver has only rca jacks on the back. Does the express cables have RCA cables because I havce no mini jack or anything in the back. And I can hook up my printer to it right> Its a HP 3015 laser printer with a USB connection. Thanks again!

The Airport comes with no cables.

Your setup will look like this:

Wall ---------> Cable Modem ----- (ethernet cable) -----> Airport Express

Buy a Straight Through RJ45 - RJ45 Ethernet cable from a compusa or something

Now your stereo will have x2 RCA Phono Sockets Left + Right,

You also need to buy a 3.55mm Stereo Jack to 2 Phono , it looks like a Y lead

Plug the 3.55mm Stereo Jack (this is the plug headphones use) into the Airport and the x2 Phono plugs into your stereo.

Connect via Wireless to the Airport and voilla!

BestBuyBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
Excellent! Thansk for taking the time to answer my question.. You guys are the best!

ruZZ.il

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Israel
if you have an old machine around.. put it next to your stereo and use itunes sharing.. you can even control it with remote desktop stuff.. I used my old pc and it doubles as a download station.. so when I download stuff there and put it in itunes there, I can listen to it on my laptop too :) so, my old pc has become my download station, which shares 'ma bitches moozak", or ma bitch could play the stuff on my laptops itunes for me, there :)

edit: ... and now, I see you want to play your ipod.. lol.. well.. yeah.. hmm.. how bout just a mini jack to rca? :p though I guess the bitch pc method works too, if your ipod is synced with any machine that can share its itunes... anyway.. the options are endless (almost)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.