How do I get Mail to remember email addresses from old Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by post nazi, Apr 29, 2010.

1. post nazi macrumors newbie

I have had a Macbook for 3 years and have used Mac Mail extensively throughout where it has stored almost every email address I ever need in it's memory so that when I start typing it fills in the options of all the people with that email address. These are obviously not all stored in my Address Book.

Well I just bought a new Macbook Pro (loving it!) and of course the Mail app does not have all those email addresses. Is there a way to export them from my old Macbook??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Well in order to transfer them from one Mac to another, the addresses need to be in the Address Book.

So on the old computer, open Mail, Window, Previous Recipients, select them all, click Add to Address Book.

Open Address Book, File, Export, Export vCard. Save the file to a USB flash drive.

On the new MBP, open Address Book, File, Import, and your import your vCard file from your USB flash drive.

Or you could just use the Migration Assistant and transfer your user account over to the new MBP.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If you're going from one Mac to another, I prefer selecting Export > "Address Book Archive..." as this will retain all of your groups in a single file.

4. post nazi thread starter macrumors newbie

fan-freakin-tastic - thank you! Feel silly for not being able to figure that out on my own - but alas, you earn my gratitude.