How do I get MBP to show up full screen on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by craiger902, Oct 29, 2010.

1. craiger902 macrumors member

I have the latest model MBP and a minidisplay port to HDMI cable that I hook up to my HDTV. It works but it isn't full screen on my tv (I have black bars on the sides, but not the top). I do have a fix for it where I connect the computer to the tv, then close MBP, then use an apple remote to get the computer going again once the screen has gone black. When it comes back on, it is full screen. Is there anyway to work it so that it is full screen as soon as I hook the tv and computer up?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Under the Display settings of System Preferences, what is the resolution set to for the external? Sometimes hitting "Detect Displays" will reset them to their proper resolution. Also, are you mirroring or extending the desktop? When you wake from sleep with the remote, it is only outputting to the TV so resolution is automatically set to the native. Sometimes there are quirks when extending or mirroring.

3. craiger902 thread starter macrumors member

The resolution is 1080p, which is what the tv display is. And I'm mirroring the display.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's not a resolution issue then. If you change resolutions does the image stay the same size, only changing the resolution within? Do you have any other monitor / display / tv to test on? Then we could be sure it's not the computer or cable.