How do I get Microsoft Word on my iPad so that I can do school work?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Kiara11, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Kiara11 macrumors newbie

Was wondering if I needed to download a specific app? I want to be able to work and then print it on my wireless printer.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no Microsoft Word for the iPad, you'll need to look for a compatible alternative. Sorry I have none that come to mind however

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Apples Pages is not Word but it is pretty good. I, too, would love to see Office for iPads but I do not think it is going to happen. Pages can work on Word documents in most respects.

Try Pages, in some ways it is actually nice.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

There is a big possibility that Microsoft releases Office for iOS this year, but that is yet to be confirmed...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That rumor has been swirling around for over a year to the point, its probably not helpful for the OP to wait it out and see.

I did a search on ms office and ms word on the app store and there's a few products that are compatible word processors and what was already mentioned, Apple's Pages may work as well.

6. bruinsrme, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

try this: REad about this a couple months ago

Yes there is a way to run a version of Microsoft Office on all Ipads. Not very publicized but available. Here is how it works: You need to have a Office 365 account and the Chrome browser app installed. Open Chrome and type in the URL skydrive.live.com Form there open a spreadsheet, word document or powerpoint. You will see the MS office web app opening. Voila you have Microsoft office on your iPad. Granted the web apps from office 365 have limited functionality compare to the desktop version but they do the trick for most of the editing you would do on a tablet. No compatibility problems all native Office files and apps

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/ipad/microsoft-office-for-ipad-mini/QAHY9FU2JFH4FACKA

7. rapicell macrumors regular

Well, just saw somewheres else on the forum about an app for iPhone and iPad called "CloudOn" that allows use of MS office and it'll save to a cloud storage that you use (such as google drive, dropbox, ect). I've played around with it for a bit and while it's limited, it does allow for creation and editing of files. Of course there's the "pro" upgrade, but I have no clue what features that might unlock

8. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

Could use google docs so you can switch between your ipad and computer in real time.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Try CloudOn.
    It is pretty cool. the app basically remotes into a server running office and let's you use it.
    I have used it for PowerPoint and worked great (although was a little slow).

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

DocumentsToGo is what I have been using and as long as you don't have super complex styles applied or use font that is not the standard, it works great. I can also do editing and add comments and review the documents from my iPad or iPhone. No complaints what so ever.

I did get the paid version, I know they have a free version, but I have not used it or looked into it, so I don't know its' limitations.

11. girlvsplanet macrumors newbie

I just discovered an app called "hopTo" (http://hopto.com). It's free, and compatible with Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive. So far, seems to be one of the best I've seen for working with MS Office documents.