how do I get my computer to open windows programs with wine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a name, Jul 7, 2009.

1. a name macrumors newbie

Okay, I have an Intel mac running OS X Leopard and the issue is this: I have a few windows programs I would like to use with wine(I installed wine with ports). So far the only way I can do this is by using the terminal (like so: wine ~/.wine/drive_c/program_files/example/example.exe). If i click on the files in finder, it asks what application to open with. Since mac ports programs generally act as UNIX programs running under X11, Finder does not recognize wine as an application. To Finder, it is a UNIX executable file. Does anyone have a suggestion? Oh, and please don't try to sell me Crossover or Darwine. My Crossover demo expired long ago and I don't want to pay for it. Darwine just doesn't seem to work.

2. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

Create a bin directory/folder in your HOME directory /Users/LOGINNAME/bin
    Create a script

nano wineExample.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd $HOME
    /path/to/wine .wine/drive_c/program_files/example/example.exe
    exit 0

Code:
    cd
    pwd   #you should be in your home directory
    chmod 700 bin/wineExample.sh

Simply have X11 start when you log in if you want and add the path to ~/bin/wineExample.sh in your x11 applications menu and if desired set up a shortcut key.
    I have Tiger so I'm not at all familiar with Leopard so it may be possible to create a alias icon on the Desktop and execute the command from there. I know in Tiger I can't do that with out X11 running.

HTH
    :D