How do I get my email in the dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IBradMac, Aug 6, 2009.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Is it push as well? or is it just a shortcut? I was browsing here, post 125 and searched but I was unsuccessful at finding the app used to do this? Thanks.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Do you mean the mail app into the dock? Just drag it from the Apps folder into the dock.

3. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

No. Sorry. I meant like yahoo mail notifications in the dock. Like push I guess?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Don't forget to right-click on it and choose "keep in dock". :)

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's an app called Mail and it comes on every single Mac, so you should have it on your computer. Basically it's like Outlook on a Windows computer, it fetches your emails for you and holds them so you can view them offline and manage them from a single application, and saves having to navigate to your emails using a web browser. The new mail notification shows up whenever there's a new email in your inbox, it's part of the app itself, not a plugin or anything. About Push, it depends on what type of email account you have. If it is a Yahoo account, for example, then it should appear in Mail the moment the other person sends it. For me, I have a Gmail account so I've set my Mail app to fetch new mail every minute...it's the closest thing I can get to push on my Mac at the moment.

6. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Right. But is there a program I have to download so I can add that icon on my dock?

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, there should be a program called Mail in your Applications folder, it comes on every Mac. The member in that post you linked to is using Mail, but it just has a custom icon. This is the icon you're looking for in your Applications folder, drag it from that folder to your dock and enjoy:

[​IMG]

8. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Okay thank you very much. Thats what I was wanting to know! :)

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No problem, glad to be able to help :D