Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I've gotten a lot more involved with photography and i love aperture, however, how do i get my files via finder. When i go to finder it shows aperture library but doesn't show my files....are you only able to get your files directly through aperture? I was trying to back up my aperture library to an external drive however aperture won't let me do "vault" via usb (i read somewhere that it has to be firewire or thunderbolt????) so i'm not sure exactly what to do. Any help would be great!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Aperture is a photo database and likes to organize your photos for you. It's best to let it do it's own thing rather than using some sort of Finder based folder system. All of the imported photos are stored in the Aperture Library which is in your Pictures folder. If you want to see what's in there, right-click on the Aperture Library and select Show Package Contents. Don't mess with anything you see in there (please).

As for using a USB drive for a Vault, I am creating one now. There were no prompts requiring Firewire, but it is much faster. Seagate makes a line of portable drives that can be switched from usb to Firewire using a $20 adapter. That's what I usually use. I tried the usb drive just to see it I had missed something.

All of this is from the viewpoint of a MacBook Pro (2008) running Snow Leopard. Lion may ask for different things.

Edit: Is the usb drive directly connected to your Mac or is it connected through a hub? A hub might not work for the large data transfers from Aperture.

Dale

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Aperture is a photo database and likes to organize your photos for you. It's best to let it do it's own thing rather than using some sort of Finder based folder system. All of the imported photos are stored in the Aperture Library which is in your Pictures folder. If you want to see what's in there, right-click on the Aperture Library and select Show Package Contents. Don't mess with anything you see in there (please).

As for using a USB drive for a Vault, I am creating one now. There were no prompts requiring Firewire, but it is much faster. Seagate makes a line of portable drives that can be switched from usb to Firewire using a $20 adapter. That's what I usually use. I tried the usb drive just to see it I had missed something.

All of this is from the viewpoint of a MacBook Pro (2008) running Snow Leopard. Lion may ask for different things.
Dale

I'm on MBP (mid2010) using lion. It's been over a month since i tried it but i had my external hard drive directly connected to my MBP and it just wouldn't do it. I can't remember the exact error message but it didn't make sense it just wouldn't let me create a vault....
Edit: Is the usb drive directly connected to your Mac or is it connected through a hub? A hub might not work for the large data transfers from Aperture.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I'm on MBP (mid2010) using lion. It's been over a month since i tried it but i had my external hard drive directly connected to my MBP and it just wouldn't do it. I can't remember the exact error message but it didn't make sense it just wouldn't let me create a vault....

The hub shouldn't be an issue, do you have enough free space for the vault?
(That error message would be very helpful. :))

All my vaults have been on USB drives and work fine. (Aperture 2, 10.6)

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
The hub shouldn't be an issue, do you have enough free space for the vault?
(That error message would be very helpful. :))

All my vaults have been on USB drives and work fine. (Aperture 2, 10.6)

I'm going to try and do it when i get home. Maybe i was setting it up wrong however i don't think I was......

I'll post what happens if i get a chance after school

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
If you want access to your files from outside Aperture (ie finder) you will need to convert your library from Managed to Referenced Masters. I don't have time to explain this now, but Google it to ensure you understand the difference.

You may find this link instructive: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3127108?start=0&tstart=0 the advice found here is not confined to converting to move files to an external drive, you can keep them on your main drive too, and then copy these to your backup drive.

You will also need to decide on what kind of file structure you want; again Google this for further advice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you want access to your files from outside Aperture (ie finder) you will need to convert your library from Managed to Referenced Masters.
No, you don't, actually. You can either open the Aperture Library directly in the Finder (although I strongly discourage that). Or you can access your Aperture Library in any OS X Open dialog.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Cali shot doc, please ignore OreoCookie's pointless and unhelpful pedantry. Using referenced masters is the easiest and most appropriate way to achieve your goal.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
so i tried to create a vault on my external hard drive and it said

"the new vault could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is unsupported" I don't get what this means???? Do i have to reformat my drive? I have 600gb of 1tb free so i'm not sure exactly whats going on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.