How do I get my iMac to shut up?

qzxyu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Anaheim, CA
I have the 2011 27" 2.7 i5 and I have quite a small bedroom. When I put it to sleep, it doesn't really sleep. I know this because the internals are making noise all night and when I wake it when I have certain self updating programs running, they are already updated. So I tried logging out, this helped... But I can still hear the computer tinkering around and in such a small room it keeps me up sometimes. I do not want to have to shut it down every night then re-boot everyday. Any way to stop this nonsense?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I have the 2011 27" 2.7 i5 and I have quite a small bedroom. When I put it to sleep, it doesn't really sleep. I know this because the internals are making noise all night and when I wake it when I have certain self updating programs running, they are already updated. So I tried logging out, this helped... But I can still hear the computer tinkering around and in such a small room it keeps me up sometimes. I do not want to have to shut it down every night then re-boot everyday. Any way to stop this nonsense?

UN-Check "Wake for network access" in system preferences

Attachments