How do I get my incoming call screen like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

When someone calls me, the picture of the person fills the screen rather then being in the top in a bar with a small thumbnail. How do I get it like this?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you need to attach the picture of the person from the address book on a mac. not sure how this is done with a pc, though.

3. sistim turbo macrumors newbie

...and the ringtone that is on the commercials is not an option on my phone.
    how come?
    thanks for your replys.:cool:

4. sadsack macrumors member

good question, as i am able to take a picture and assign it to a name. So when that name rings, the picture pops up, but takes over the whole screen. Ho do you make it a small icon and use wall paper?

5. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

I have attached pictures to the contact. But when they call the picture fills the entire screen, unlike the advert and pictures on Apple's website showing it as a thumbnail at the top with the caller name and mobile/home/work line left justified.

Seems odd that they would advertise it like this when it doesn't seem to be possible?

6. nlivo macrumors 6502a

is there a hack that can change all of your contacts so it is like this?

7. naftalim macrumors 6502

I think that when you import a picture it is shown as a thumbnail. When you take a picture with the iPhone, its full screen.

8. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I can tell you how with a PC using Outlook. It is simple and is not a hack of any kind. With Outlook attach a photo of the person you want in that contact on the PC not in the phone. Then sync. When doing it this way you get the thumbnail photo as you show. If you take a picsture of a person with your phone and then go to that person in the phone and add the picture in the phone you will get the full screen shot when they call. Not sure about a MAC but I would imagine the same process with the email program you use.

9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

same with a mac

if you use the pic either taken or stored in you phone or taken with your phone they will be big
    if you attach them to a contact on your computer... mac or pc
    they will look like this with the home screen in the back

10. wildmilne macrumors regular

I have the opposite problem, some of my pictures look like your screenshot, but i want them to be full screen...anyone understand what makes some peoples pictures full screen and other peoples just the little thumbnail?

11. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i know its really quite deceiving of apple :-(

Come guys, get a life!!

12. M0bile macrumors regular

If you have a Mac it's in GarageBand as a sound effect which you can make into a ringtone. If you don't have a Mac, use the search and find the iPod Ad ringtone link that's floating around...

13. John A macrumors member

You need to assign the pics to the contact ON THE PHONE. If you want them fullscreen, make a gallery in your iphoto called "Contacts" -- put all the pics in there, sync it, and then assign them one by one on the phone. They'll all be fullscreen.

14. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Is there any way in iPhoto to sync picture folders to the iPhone?

For example, I want all my contacts pictures in separate albums in a sub folder called Contacts but when I sync to my iPhone only the albums show up not the folder called Contacts?:confused:

15. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

My phone looks like that when I get a call. You have to assign the image using Address Book on the Mac which allows you to trim it down to that thumbnail size, assigning a contact's picture on the iPhone itself makes it full screen.

As for syncing only certain folders from iPhoto, that should be possible... in the iPhone preferences when plugged into iTunes it should give you the option of which albums you would like to sync.

16. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Yup. Only albums though not folders. In iPhoto, an Album is different from a photo Folder.

17. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

Are you talking about syncing just folders?

in the photos tab in itunes when you sync your phone you can choose to sync folders from your Pictures folder. in the drop down menu choose 'pictures' instead of iPhoto.

not sure if that helps at all...

also, if you want the little photo to display when someone calls you, add the photo to the contact on your computer, then sync. it only goes full screen when you add a photo to a contact on your iphone.

18. illutionz macrumors 65816

if you want small thumbnail picture on top: Assign (attach) the picture with Address Book.app (for Mac) or Outlook (for PC)

if you want full screen pictures: Take the picture with iphone and assign it ON THE PHONE or Sync pictures from iPhoto and again, assign them ON THE PHONE

PS: seems that someone posted the same thing above

19. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

When researching this for the original iPhone last year, I did come across some additional criteria. The size of the pic is also somewhat important. When syncing contacts from my PC (have done this in both Windows Contacts and Outlook), if the contact pic was above a certain resolution (something like 300x300 or so), it would come out as full size on the call screen. When shrunk down (to something like 280x280 or so) they would come through as a thumbnail. Only reason I noticed was that when syncing from the PC, some pics came out thumbnail and some full size, despite the phone being completely wiped of pics and contacts when I synced.

Also, when I selected the wrong pic for my bro (unedited digital cam shot, around 1536xwhatever resolution), the display would get completely screwed up.

20. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'm gonna try this tonight. I wondered why my contact pics were showing up so big... Hopefully this works with the address book on the PC because I don't use Outlook. I have a feeling it will. :) I've had an iPhone for almost a year now and I still learn new things about it all the time. It really is an amazing device.