How do I get my iphone 3GS (iOS4) to do what Android does? Are there apps for that?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigQid, Aug 14, 2010.

1. BigQid macrumors regular

My girlfriend has an EVO 4G and after playing with it I made a list of things that I admire about Android phones.
    1) The ability to work with Google Docs 2) Notification system 3) Speech to text in the keyboard 4) Weather widget
    Then it hit me that most of the time, if I thought of it, there is a solution somewhere. For 1) Last night I found an app called NoteMaster that lets me take notes in Google Docs and the webapp lets you edit spreadsheets. That's most of my uses for Google Docs taken care of. I haven't thought of or found a solution for 2 or 3 yet, but if anyone knows of a fix let me know. I have an idea for 4, but I haven't been able to find it. If you could change your background so that it displayed the weather for the next 24 hours, then when you turned on your phone from sleep mode you'd have a fast way of getting the weather. Even better if you could get to sync with and display a todo list. I saw a picture of a weather app that had a background behind the weather. Couldn't find the name of it, but that would also be a nice touch.
    And I don't want to jail break.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Use pocket weather world (I think that's what it's called). If you put it on your homepage the badge is push updated to the current temperature.

3. Wicker macrumors regular

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by put on your homepage? And from the screenshots, it looks like its just a prettier weather app. I like the way the Android phones remind you of the weather even without going into the app. I am looking for something that does it the way it works on Android or something that regularly changes the background image so that it gives me that info even without unlocking my phone from sleep mode.

7. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

I like dragon dictation, but when its wrong, it is very annoying to correct. Half the time I do better typing something myself. It is also won't work for typing in documents that already exist since you have to write in 1 document, cut, switch, paste. Might as well type it yourself at that point.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Works great for texting quick responses though. Spelling doesn't matter most of the time when I'm SMS'ing the wife.

9. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

Have you played with an Android phone? Their speech recognition is really good. Its in the keyboard that sits on top of most apps and it works for me, almost all the time. I'm a pharmacist and to see if I could trip it up I started throwing drug names at it. It got 9/10 of them. This list and the bigger screen of the EVO are what had me considering a switch.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I note that people gave you some good advice and you just picked each one apart finding little nit-picky things about them in claiming how in your opinion a droid is better.

I don't think you are really interested in the info in your original post at all, it is my opinion that you are nothing more than a lowly droid troll, and no matter what people post you will find fault with it.

If you think that the droid OS is so much better, why don't you go buy a phone that has it and go to their forum and post there.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm a multi-platformist and have lots of current smartphones. As much as I enjoy the combination of my iPhone 4, iTunes & MacBook Pro, I also love my Android phones.*

Since I travel a lot & use a smartphone for web access, a larger 4" + display is quite nice. So too is the additional features and functionality of the open Android platform.*

Today I picked up a new Droid X with Android ver 2.2 Froyo. What an impressive speed increase over 2.1 Eclair. Even better will be version 3.0 Gingerbread, it's set to release in several handsets during the end of the year holiday selling season.*

It's getting harder and harder for me to suggest an iPhone when Android phones are becoming so good.*

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jailbreak.

Lockinfo (+ lockweather plugin)
    Notified (or notified pro)
    My3G
    SBsettings
    FiveIconDock

Done right, and you can have the little functional items the iPhone lacks, and still get all the polish and development of the iPhone ecosystem. :)

13. sciwizam macrumors regular

When did the X get 2.2?

14. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

They don't have a smiley face for c'mon son, but c'mon son. I've had all the iphones. All the ipods. Admittedly, I'm still on my first Macbook Pro, but no. I'm not a droid troll. And ad homonym much?
    I am attempted to go on a rant about how the fact that we can't have reasoned discussion in this country because far too often people fall to personal attacks, emotional appeals, and other distractions rather than look at the truth of a statement on its face.
    I don't see it as picking apart so much as probing for a better answer. I have found that what the iphone alone lacks, the app store usually makes up for. 9/10 if there is something that I want my iphone to do, I find something that does it. I asked here because I thought among all of these smart, reasonable people someone might have an answer. Is it wrong of me to point out that I find an answer unsatisfactory. No. Others might not be as discerning about apps as I am. Its not a knock against them, but I don't want to compromise if I don't have to.
    Last night I downloaded 5 apps trying to find the right one for the purpose of 1. I believe in utilizing the knowledge and opinions of others. As large as the macrumors community is, someone has probably already thought of, searched for, and found not just an app that does what I want, but does what I want better than I expected it to. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this. Sorry if you took offense.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

BigQuid,

I checked out your post histories and have come to the conclusion that you are not in fact a troll.

I would say maybe you need to be a bit less discerning about apps and more discerning about how you reply to people who give you the suggestions that you asked for in the first place

I apologize if you take offense that is not my intention.

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

They are filtering out into the Verizon sales channel now. I'm in a huge market (Los Angeles) where the Droid X is extremely popular. With all stores sold out and receiving large shipments now, all incoming X models have Froyo installed.

17. sciwizam macrumors regular

That's news indeed. I thought they said the X was gonna get 2.2 in September. You should give the scoop to the usual news sites.