Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
The home button on my iPhone 4 is very mushy, kind of hard to press easily and sometimes brings up the multitask menu (so I guess it registered two clicks?)

I want it replaced/fixed.. how do I go about it?

I know it's a minor issue but for a $700 phone it should be perfect

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Usually this kinda thing gets blamed on accidental damage when it comes to warranties, so you can try taking it to the Genius Bar but it probably won't do any good.

If you live in a decently sized town, I'd find a local repair shop. I live in a town of 40K and the shop here charges around $40 for this kind of thing. It's probably worth it considering the hastle Apple may put you through over it. I'd make sure the place gets good reviews and stuff first.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Usually this kinda thing gets blamed on accidental damage when it comes to warranties, so you can try taking it to the Genius Bar but it probably won't do any good.

If you live in a decently sized town, I'd find a local repair shop. I live in a town of 40K and the shop here charges around $40 for this kind of thing. It's probably worth it considering the hastle Apple may put you through over it. I'd make sure the place gets good reviews and stuff first.

If there is no signs of accidental damage (deep scratches, cracks, etc) they should replace it for free. Why would you ever not try the apple store first, considering any 3rd party repairs involve opening the phone and permanently voiding the warranty?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Usually this kinda thing gets blamed on accidental damage when it comes to warranties, so you can try taking it to the Genius Bar but it probably won't do any good

That should not be the case.

I swapped my iPhone 4 yesterday at the Genius Bar because of a dodgy Home Button (sometimes it wouldn't register presses or it would register two presses at once).

The genius was happy to replace it (my phone was not damaged in any other way). She didn't even try to reproduce the problem.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
That should not be the case.

I swapped my iPhone 4 yesterday at the Genius Bar because of a dodgy Home Button (sometimes it wouldn't register presses or it would register two presses at once).

The genius was happy to replace it (my phone was not damaged in any other way). She didn't even try to reproduce the problem.

Ah! Sounds just like my problem then.

They were cool about it? Did they replace it with a refurb, and if so, did it have a new case and no scratches etc?

How hard is it to restore everything to the way your first phone was?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.