How do I get my mail to automatically update?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jesusplay, Feb 21, 2015.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

texts, imessage, and other apps update if I check them on my Mac and clear off my iphone's screen but mail stays on the screen and when I unlock the phone it shows a red circle and a number of new emails even though I checked them on the Mac hours ago. Sometimes if I open the mail app it will update and some times it doesn't.

How to make the mail automatically check if mail has been read?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

What kind of email accounts are involved in this?

3. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

icloud email

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data, what is the Fetch interval set to? iCloud supports Push, but only for new messages. Updates to your existing mail structure do not get pushed and won't reflect right away. This is essentially a limit of IMAP > there is no concept of push for state changes in the mail structure.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

What do you mean by "mail structure" here?

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Changing the state of email (flagging, toggling read/unread, etc) deleting email or moving it to different folders.

These sorts of actions do not get pushed to devices. The email client on the device will only reflect them when it periodically performs a sync with the server.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Thanks.

I assumed Apple would use their notification service to push such changes to other devices.