How do I get my old Firefox settings to work on new MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Magritte, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Magritte macrumors member

I didn't do Migration Assistant because I wanted to install everything fresh on my MBP, but there are a couple of applications I wanted to match the ones on my iMac. Firefox is one.

Using Target Disk mode I copied both the ~user/Library/Mozilla and ~user/Library/Application Support/Firefox folders from the iMac to the appropriate locations on the laptop. But when I open Firefox it doesn't recognize any of it.

Help? Thanks! :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The fix for this is quite simple. Look inside your Firefox folder that you copied. Inside it should be a profiles folder, and two folders inside that - one with your current settings and one with your old settings. Copy the contents of the old settings folder over to the new settings folder (while Firefox isn't running, overwriting anything that exists in the other folder). Restart Firefox. Once this is done you can safely delete the old settings, as Firefox won't use them.

3. Magritte thread starter macrumors member

Yes! I am posting from my laptop now.

I made the mistake of simply throwing the Firefox folder into Application Support, so I had to take it out, start up Firefox, and THEN copy the data from my previous profile into the new one. Ah well, whatever, it worked, I'm thrilled, thanks!