How do I get my PC to use only one folder on my iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevefo, Jul 13, 2013.

1. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

This is what I'm trying to do: I want my daughter's PC (Windows 7) to see only one folder on my iMac.

This is what is happening: My daughter's PC (Windows 7) sees several folders on my iMac that I don't want her to have access to.

iMac. System preferences - Sharing - File sharing is the only thing checked - The only folder I want is in shared folders.

When I set up the PC I typed in my iMac's IP address and typed in my credentials. It sees my desktop files, folders, pictures etc.. including the folder I want it to see.

I even tried to map the IP to that one folder and it wont let me.

Please Help

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You are seeing all of those files because you are an Administrator of the OS X machine and authenticating as yourself. Try using the Guest account to authenticate; it will give only access to resources available to Everyone.

Attached Files:

4. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

I understand what you are saying. I will make a guest account on my iMac and report back with the results.

I am running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and my daughters computer is the latest Windows 7 home edition.

5. stevefo, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

I was going to ask if I could remotely sign in with a guest account and found out I can if it's on the same network.

6. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

I created an account for my daughter on my iMac. I then logged into my account and created a folder on my desktop and gave her permission to read/write from it. I then logged in as her on my iMac and gave her file sharing permission to that specified computer. I then had to apply permission to all users in that folder. I logged into her PC with her guest user credentials for my iMac and BAM! She and I can share/copy/read/write to only that folder. Thanks for the help!:apple: