How do I get only my domain name to show??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jillian737, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jillian737 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me.....how can I just get my domain only to show?

here is my site:

kustombabystuff.com

but as you can see when you go there, it shows sub-directories as well?

I have my hosting with godaddy FYI

I want to add search capability to my site, and I don't think it will work with sub-directories very well

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Actually for me it went to, kustombabystuff.com/Kustom_Baby_Stuff/Home.html and showed the web page rather than a list of directories.

3. jillian737 thread starter macrumors newbie

site address

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself very clear....what I meant was, I only want the
    kustombabystuff.com (I want only this to appear)
    kustombabystuff.com/Kustom_Baby_Stuff/Home.html (not this)

How do I fix this?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I believe the closest you can come to is by taking the contents of the Kustom_Baby_Stuff folder and moving it up a level (so that folder would no longer exist. That would make your home page kustombabystuff.com/Home.html Normally for the file not to show, the home page would need to be named index.html index.php, but iWeb uses index.html to present your Home.html page. I don't believe there's a sensible solution to that, but the above idea should help improve the situation.

5. jillian737 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I guess I can try this...it just seems weird to me that iweb does this...

thank you!

6. jillian737 thread starter macrumors newbie

rename page

so would it be better to just rename my page named "home" to index? Will that fix it?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, iWeb creates the index.html on its own so it won't matter what you name your file. The only way involves masking the URL, but that has the downside that no matter what page you're viewing it'll only show your domain name URL and not the specific page you're on, which makes it hard to bookmark and give links to people.

8. jillian737 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I see what you mean....I do have a website masked that actually goes to kustombabystuff named kidneybeenz...and I see what you mean about that. What I'm trying to do is get my site recognized by the search engines....I don't know how to add metatags or anything, I can use the generator, but I don't know how to put them into my html on my home page..It says they should be between the head section, but I can't even find that! this is all pretty frustrating..I wish new how to code and build from scratch!

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There have been some 3rd party apps/techniques created to help with SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Rage iWeb SEO

Haven't used it myself so can't speak to it's capabilities.

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

iWeb is just horrible for stuff like this. You can make forum or CMS urls nicer than iWeb.

11. jakeOSX macrumors regular

this issue has come up before, personally i think it is irresponsible for apple to have iweb do what it does /rant

one solution is to take control of the files yourself. use iweb to make them, sure, but instead of making a 'site' in iweb, just make the pages. then you control what they are named (index.html) and the links.

i've only played with iweb a small bit, so i am assuming it won't protest too much.

when the browser goes to yoururl.com, the server presents index.html. that is the file you want them to see first, then make sure it is that file, not something that iweb tells you.

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That won't really work as once you change things outside of iWeb you cannot place them back in iWeb so any changes you make outside of iWeb have to be redone every time you publish the site. Not very efficient.

Also, with the horrible code iWeb produces it's not really possible (for the people iWeb was made for) to take its code and edit the layout and such.