Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
This is turning into a nightmare. Tried using google photos and save to phone but all has to be done individually, I used takeout, got all my photos on PC, iCloud for windows loads about 30 then freezes, I have uninstalled, tried again same problem. I then put all in iCloud drive thinking that would achieve something but nope, have to go into each photo individually, and save to phone, I've about 10,000 photos here so not practical. Any ideas?

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Put all your photos from your PC on to Google photos on your PC. Than download the Google photos app on your iPhone.

What i did was signed into iCloud Photos on my PC and added all the photos off my PC to there. Than on my iPhone Photos app they were all there.

Comment

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Why do you need them all on your phone?
The aim is really to get them all onto icloud and do away with google photos
[automerge]1585394182[/automerge]
Put all your photos from your PC on to Google photos on your PC. Than download the Google photos app on your iPhone.

What i did was signed into iCloud Photos on my PC and added all the photos off my PC to there. Than on my iPhone Photos app they were all there.
All my photos are already in google photos, my aim is to get all onto icloud.

Comment

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
The aim is really to get them all onto icloud and do away with google photos
[automerge]1585394182[/automerge]

All my photos are already in google photos, my aim is to get all onto icloud.

On your PC go to Google Photos, than highlight whatever ones you want and click "Download". This will save them to your PC. Than on your PC sign into the iCloud Photo app and upload them all from your PC explorer.

Comment

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
On your PC go to Google Photos, than highlight whatever ones you want and click "Download". This will save them to your PC. Than on your PC sign into the iCloud Photo app and upload them all from your PC explorer.

This is the issue, I already have them on the PC, the icloud upload sticks after a couple of hundred and thats it, won't go any further,
[automerge]1585395399[/automerge]
Apologies for the questions but I’m trying to understand what you’re doing.

Aren’t you happy with Google Photos?
I'm trying to move away from everything google related

Comment

MarkX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
This is the issue, I already have them on the PC, the icloud upload sticks after a couple of hundred and thats it, won't go any further,

If all the photos are already on your pc getting them on to your iPhone should be fairly straightforward using iTunes.

Once they’re on your phone getting them to iCloud is simple.

Comment

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020

Gotcha. It must be a settings or software issue.

What about getting icloud for windows ? Than transferring them that way ?

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 604
Apr 24, 2016
If all the photos are already on your pc getting them on to your iPhone should be fairly straightforward using iTunes.

iTunes is not designed though to copy the pictures in their original resolution to iPhone. Never was. It will create a smaller version and send that instead.

Comment

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland

Thats is so simple I never thought of that.

Comment

Vanishd

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
Downloading your photo's from Google to your Mac or PC is only 500 at a time.
And then open the zip files (they are downloaded as zip) and import in Photo's.
This is working without any problem.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

This is normal. iCloud Photo Library will upload in chunks over time. Just let it be, leave the computer awake and it will eventually get through all of them.

Reactions: MarkX
Comment

GeeMillz22

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
West Coast
Do you have an iPhone or iPad with enough memory to cover your album capacity? In my experience, the easiest and fastest way for me to move my Google Photos (~1100 photos and ~300 videos) was to download the Google Photos app onto my phone. Give it permission to see, but not to upload. Then select all of your media and download to device. It added everything to my iPhone photos app and uploaded to iCloud Photos as soon as I locked my phone and slapped it on the charger. My content wasn’t that large, but it may still work for you.

Comment

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Do you have an iPhone or iPad with enough memory to cover your album capacity? In my experience, the easiest and fastest way for me to move my Google Photos (~1100 photos and ~300 videos) was to download the Google Photos app onto my phone. Give it permission to see, but not to upload. Then select all of your media and download to device. It added everything to my iPhone photos app and uploaded to iCloud Photos as soon as I locked my phone and slapped it on the charger. My content wasn’t that large, but it may still work for you.

Thats works but photos are all over the place, there is no order to them.
[automerge]1586494883[/automerge]
This is normal. iCloud Photo Library will upload in chunks over time. Just let it be, leave the computer awake and it will eventually get through all of them.
2 weeks later still not done anything. I think we can say its stuck and doesn't work

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Thats works but photos are all over the place, there is no order to them.
[automerge]1586494883[/automerge]

2 weeks later still not done anything. I think we can say its stuck and doesn't work

Did you really keep your computer constantly turned on for 2 weeks?!

How big is your photo library?

iTunes is not designed though to copy the pictures in their original resolution to iPhone. Never was. It will create a smaller version and send that instead.

Are you 100% certain about this?! I’ve used iTunes to transfer pictures before and didn’t notice any loss in picture quality.

Comment

dj1891

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland

Are you 100% certain about this?! I’ve used iTunes to transfer pictures before and didn’t notice any loss in picture quality.

10,344 photos is says. No it get turned off at night, It uploaded about 100 and gave up.

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 604
Apr 24, 2016

I haven’t followed this much in the last few years but it’s always been the. ASW with iTunes in the beginning and was a leftover thought from the iPod days. Itunes would only copy a smaller version of your photos from computer to iOS device and importing was generally done by whatever process the owner uses for importing camera pics.
For years itunes even the folder ipod photo cache or something like that.

Obviously a non-issue these days with iCloud Photo Library. :)

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
10,344 photos is says. No it get turned off at night, It uploaded about 100 and gave up.

Ok my library is almost the same size. 10710 to be accurate. It works flawlessly for me.

So there are a few things at work here with uploading an entire library fresh -

- upload speed provided by your service provider.
- iCloud server response time.
- constant connection between your device and the iCloud server.

I can imagine it might take a good few days for things to workout properly given the size of the library depending on upload speed and stability of your internet connection.

My suggestion is to try with smaller chunks of data. Maybe try to upload in slots of 1000?! See how long that takes.

Make sure your computer does not go to sleep and you have a constant internet connection.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.