Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I have had the 3gs unlocked with pwnage tool; and using ultrsn0w. Now I have hears I need to go thru the real activation process thru at and t to get the phone to allow push.

What does that imply; do I back up my phone now; restore it; then have a friend put in his at and t card and activate. After my friend does that what doni do take out his sim give it back to him; pop in my tmobile sim and unlock with pwnage...

Please help thanks

Nine9si

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Yes push works on jailbroken phones. Yes, you must officially activate through the iTunes process.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
no way....my push doesnt work with my gmail account. i have att too

Push from Gmail doesn't work for anyone, I don't believe.

Found this "Note that Google Sync will not push visual notification boxes to iPhone and iPod Touch interfaces. For that, you'll need third party apps like GPush for iPhone."

Get GriP (Cydia) for iPhone or Prowl (app store)

Looks like there is another app (Gpush) also http://lifehacker.com/5339088/gpush-brings-push-notification-to-gmail-users-on-the-iphone

I use GriP and love it, but no automatic push from Gmail.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
So basically I need to restore my 3gs back to factory settings! Then have my friend activate my iPhone thru iTunes! Then after that's done I basically use pwnage tool to jailbreak and run ultrasnow correct. Because I am using tmobile; so do I click unlock iPhone in the pwnage tool or not?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
So basically I need to restore my 3gs back to factory settings! Then have my friend activate my iPhone thru iTunes! Then after that's done I basically use pwnage tool to jailbreak and run ultrasnow correct. Because I am using tmobile; so do I click unlock iPhone in the pwnage tool or not?

Make sure you get your SHSH on file with Cydia first before you remove your JB.

I guess that's what you need to do.

In order to unlock, don't restore to official Apple 3.1 or 3.1.2 IPSW or you can't unlock due to new baseband.

In order to restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1, you will need to use the SHSH files and make the modification to your phone (Saurik has a how to on this)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

No! You do not need to restore to the official firmware first; in fact, you can only do that if you have your 3.0 SHSH on file in Cydia. Restoring to official 3.1 will prevent you from unlocking. Here are the steps you need to follow:

1) Restore using a Pwned 3.1 firmware. Make sure you use expert mode and *deselect* the option to activate your phone. Yes, deselect it.
2) Have your friend activate using his AT&T SIM.
3) Install and run ultrasn0w to unlock.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I'm following those steps 1-3; because I don't undrstand what shsh is or why I need that:
steels one thru 3 make sense to me:

Also how do I back up all my data

Nine9si

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

That's correct, Gmails push has been working perfectly for a couple months. Instant push email with no 3rd party apps required.

couldn't he just goto recovery mode with custom firmware, making sure it's an unactivated one. Activate through iTunes and he's set? If you are already jailbroken...

To backup goto iTunes then right click on iPhone and choose "backup"

follow what thelatinist says

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Now I just re own my 3gs with a pwn version of what I have 3.1 I just don't click on unlock I dealect it. Then when that's done and pwned I open iTunes and my friend puts in his at and t sim and activates my phone. Then I take it out and place my tmobile sim in and install ultrasn0w.

Is that correct; or do I need a factory restall then for him to activate my phone; then pwn 3.1 then put that custom file on my phone;

which way

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
i did the pwnage and then i used my friends sim and as soon as i put it in the iphone it said activated. i didnt have to do anything in itunes..

hope that worked however i found my backup files and i dont understand it theres like a million random files what do i do how do i do this backup restore

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
hope that worked however i found my backup files and i dont understand it theres like a million random files what do i do how do i do this backup restore

goto iTunes then right click on iPhone and choose "restore from backup"

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
i followed the 1-3 steps
and to back up it only will allow me to restore to oginal factory settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.