how do I get quake wars on my mac?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by liptonlover, Jul 2, 2008.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I've spent over half an hour fruitlessly looking for a place to download an official release of quake wars so that I could play it. I have the 1.5 updater but it can't install anything because I don't have 1.0. HELP!!!

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If you're trying to obtain a "free" copy of Quake Wars you won't find much help here. Talk of piracy is strictly forbidden on MacRumors.

Otherwise if you're interested in purchasing a copy you can go to id's website.

3. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

OK, the first post was unclear, sorry for the misunderstanding.

It looks like you'd need to install bootcamp and get the PC Demo. According to this there probably won't be a Mac demo until sometime this fall, if there is one at all.

5. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry my bad :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to wait then... thanks for your help!

Just curious though in case you know... if it isn't out yet for macs why is there a 1.5 mac update?

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It IS out for Macs, and it's great :) I never tried a class-based shooter before but I'm hooked.

The patch is for the FULL game, not for the demo. (Which, as stated above, doesn't exist--at least not yet.)

If you want to try it before buying you'll have to wait for a demo. But you can BUY it now. Amazon has it, for instance.

As a general performance test, the Quake 4 demo (see macgamefiles.com) performs generally similar in terms of framerates. It uses a similar engine. But the gameplay of Quake 4 is a linear one-player "quest" nothing to do with the team-oriented Quake Wars.

7. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

The update is for the full game, not the demo. The PC demo at any rate only goes to 1.4. Personally I'd be surprised if a Mac demo appears at all.

8. SierraBravo macrumors newbie

9. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt I'm buying it no matter how good it is... but I do want to at least try it. Thanks for your help guys!