How do I get rid of 2nd (Bootcamp) Partition drive???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toddsta, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Toddsta macrumors newbie

Hi all - please give me 'baby step' instructions here, because I am not the quintessential Mac user.... and am not all that up-to-speed on the Mac OS, etc.

I do have a MacBook Pro with the Intel Core 2 processor.

I installed Bootcamp on this machine a few years ago and had Windows XP running on it.

I reinstalled the Mac OS in the hopes of it deleting Bootcamp...so I could start 'fresh' again.... but the Windows / Bootcamp partition was still there.

So... I put the MAC OSX disk back in, and then went to Disk Utility... and then I erased the offending partition - or so I thought. The Windows OS is now gone, yet the partition of the drive is still there.

I want to reclaim the old Windows partition space and be back to one drive - the MAC HD drive - with the full space of the single hard drive available.

Can anyone tell me at this point how I can rid the computer of the 2nd partition, and reclaim that HD space back onto my single MAC OS HD???

Again... I'm a nincompoop, and freely and publicly admit it... so please give me step-by-steps as if you were talking to a PC user (which I am).

I'm using OSX 10.5, I believe.

Thanks so much!! Here's a few pics showing how the 'additional partition drive' is displayed. I want to delete the "Disk OS3" and reclaim that space, roughly 32 gb, back onto my Macintosh HD. I have no idea what 'iDisk' is....

Attached Files:

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

First try this (I'm going to try to make this as simple I can):

1) Normally boot your machine

)2 Double click on 'Macintosh HD'

3) Double click on Applications (OR If you have it) On the lift side you see your list of drives and shares. Click on 'Utilities' Again you may not have this.

4) (if you don't have Utilities on the left side other wise skip this step) Search down the list in Applications for 'Utilities' and double click on it.

5) Find 'Boot Camp Assistant' and double click it.

6) Follow the directions to where if ask you if you want to 'Create or remove a Windows partition'

7) Follow the directions and your done.

OR IF BOOT CAMP DOESN'T SEE THE OTHER PARTITION THEN DO THIS

*WARNING: Going this way will delete every thing off your drive!*
    1) Boot from your install disk

2)In the menu bar select Disk Utility

3) Click on the hard disk name (The name above 'Macintosh HD' it will tell you the size of the hard disk)

4) On the right in the window click on 'Partition'

5) This will show your hard drive is in two pieces. In that window look for 'Volume Scheme' select 1 partition. This will tell the the computer to make the hard drive 1 partition.

6) Name the hard drive what you want on the right. Now this is every important. Under name you want to select 'Mac OS Extended (journaled)' if it isn't already.

7) (*WARNING THIS WILL EASE THE HARD DRIVE*) Click on 'Apply' or 'Ease' I can't remember what shows up (not at a computer to look at, at this time)
    When it's done you will no longer have that Bootcamp partition any more.

8) Quit out of Disk Utility. This will take you back to the installer and just reinstall the OS as normal.

Let me know how it worked out for you.

Hugh

3. Damo01 macrumors regular

Bootcamp is on a separate partition, to the partition Mac OS X is on, and doing an erase on Mac OS X partition doesn't get rid of the partition that you want to get rid of.

There are two ways of removing the bootcamp partition.

1. use Bootcamp Assistant to remove the bootcamp partition, which does a live partitioning by deleting the bootcamp partition and resize Mac OS X to a single partition.

2. Or use disk Utility which you have to do the live partitioning yourself by going to the partition tab and select the bootcamp partition and press the minus button, which remove the bootcamp
    partition and once you done that you would need to resize the Mac OS X partition by dragging lower right corner of Partition box down to fill the entire hard drive.

4. Toddsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Hugh and Damo01 -

Hugh - I followed your directions and got as far as 'Bootcamp Assistant' and then I got to the 'continue' button. When I click on 'Continue' in the first part of the 'Bootcamp Assistant'... I get a message stating: The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

It won't allow me to go any further ... so I will try your secondary recommendation.

Whoops! The second recommendation wouldn't allow me to 'select' a partition as described.... everything remained 'grayed-out' and was non-selectable.

However, I did the 'disk utility' suggestion that Damo01 suggested, by clicking on the 'Bootcamp' partition within the disk utility on the main drive, and then selecting the *minus* button under the drive - then, stretching the main Mac OS drive down to reclaim the old Bootcamp partition space, and it worked!!!

Thanks guys for spending the time walking me through this!!!! I've learned a few things along the way too!!