Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

command-key

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
I just converted from years of windows based machines to a new macbook pro this summer. Most things are great, though I have a few complaints.

One complaint is the little mail icon on the dock is constantly bouncing up and down asking to get setup. I checked all preferences and couldn't see how to remove it. I eventually linked my gmail account to see if I could turn it off once it was linked, but it is still bouncing down there asking for stuff. It is super annoying and I cannot see any preferences to turn it off or hide it.

My friend was having the same issue and drug his to the trash, now he has an error message popping up "mail cannot be found" so I don't want to do that.

command-key

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
You can just drag it off with your mouse.

the thing is that it keeps opening back up. It isn't a program that stays on the dock if I quit the program. It is only on the dock if the program is open, but it just opens it self up constantly.

command-key

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
What explicitly does it say if you force quit it and remove it and then it relaunches?

Originally it was bouncing on the dock and when I click it (to stop the bouncing) it would ask to setup the account.

After I setup the account it bounces until I click it and it asks for the account password. Once I enter the password it just shows the email from my gmail account.

If I force quit it goes off the dock, but reappears in a few hours.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
It shouldn't reappear. Are you sure it is in no autostart list or you click some email address in a browser which is still linked to the Mail.app, in which case you'd have to change that behavior in the browser prefs.

command-key

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
It shouldn't reappear. Are you sure it is in no autostart list or you click some email address in a browser which is still linked to the Mail.app, in which case you'd have to change that behavior in the browser prefs.

my browser opens the web-based gmail when I click an email, I just tested it to be sure.

Where would the autostart list be? I had a mac friend look at it and he was even a little puzzled.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
my browser opens the web-based gmail when I click an email, I just tested it to be sure.

Where would the autostart list be? I had a mac friend look at it and he was even a little puzzled.

System preferences>accounts>login items

or, right click mail on the dock and look at options...see if login at startup is checked

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Everything is unchecked except for ituneshelper.

If you're referring to the list in System Preferences, anything on the list (checked or unchecked) will be launched. The checkboxes only refer to whether it will be hidden on startup, not whether it will launch. If Mail or anything else that might be launching it is on the list, remove it. Ignore the checkboxes, they have nothing to do with your problem.

jW

command-key

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
If you're referring to the list in System Preferences, anything on the list (checked or unchecked) will be launched. The checkboxes only refer to whether it will be hidden on startup, not whether it will launch. If Mail or anything else that might be launching it is on the list, remove it. Ignore the checkboxes, they have nothing to do with your problem.

jW

ok, thanks didn't know that but it makes sense. Mail is not on the list.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Also you may want to setup a dummy account so you can get to the default mail program options. Like Safari's "Default Browser" control. The default mail client for OS X settings are in Mail.app>Preferences, which you can't get into until you create an account. So every time you click on a mail address it will keep launching mail.app until the default is resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.