Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookProJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Seattle, Warshington
Ok, I originally made an 80 gig XP partition. Well, Im not using the bloody thing. I think Id rather have the Mac space back, but I cant figure out how to get rid of the partition and get that 80 gigs back for the Mac.

Thanks in advance.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Ok, I originally made an 80 gig XP partition. Well, Im not using the bloody thing. I think Id rather have the Mac space back, but I cant figure out how to get rid of the partition and get that 80 gigs back for the Mac.

Thanks in advance.

Boot from the installer DVD and select English then stop.

Under the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.

Select the drive device (not the volumes beneath it) and click the Partitions tab.

Now you need to see if the Windows Partition is the first or second partition.

If it is the first, you will have to erase the entire disk and re-install.

If it is the 2nd partition (listed under the MacOS partition) you are in luck.

Now you can proceed by removing the second partition and growing the first (MacOS) partition.

Select the 2nd partition (Windows) and click the "-" button. This will delete it.

Now select the MacOS partition and grab the bottom right corner of it and drag it all the way down to the bottom of the frame. (Your MacOS partition will remain intact and increase in size). Now click the Apply button.

That's it.

spgiva

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Boot from the installer DVD and select English then stop.

Under the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.

Select the drive device (not the volumes beneath it) and click the Partitions tab.

Now you need to see if the Windows Partition is the first or second partition.

If it is the first, you will have to erase the entire disk and re-install.

If it is the 2nd partition (listed under the MacOS partition) you are in luck.

. . .

(not to thread hijack or anything but :rolleyes:) For those of us who have yet to partition our disk, is there a way to partition it in such a was so as to insure it is the 2nd partition? -thanks

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
(not to thread hijack or anything but :rolleyes:) For those of us who have yet to partition our disk, is there a way to partition it in such a was so as to insure it is the 2nd partition? -thanks

If you had Leopard installed first and then used Boot Camp to create another partition, Leopard will be the first partition and Windows, the second.

MacBookProJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Seattle, Warshington
I could never get BC to work. It kept producing kernal errors and messing up my disk. So, I booted off of the system disk and used disk utility to create a partition. then I booted from Windoze and installed XP P.

joeschmo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
I am having the same problem, only that my additional partitions are used for ubuntu. I tried deleting them the way that was suggested but when i did, i recieved "preparing to remove volume". This stayed up for hours, clearly making no progress. any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.