How do I get rid of the audio dot at the top of the watch face?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Is this a watchOS 5 feature? Never used to be there on S3 and watchOS 4.

It’s intrusive and ruins the simplicity of the watch faces completely. Especially the simple faces, including the Hermès faces.

3154B3D9-F6F4-42C1-B351-8E5445FE3753.png 14DCEF9E-786E-43B2-83A6-D7A163AB11B9.png

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
You need to make sure that any audio app is off/killed (streaming apps, YouTube, radios, etc...)
I meant having the audio apps going in the background (eg when I’m on the train I’d be listening to music from my phone, but I don’t need to be seeing that red dot).

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
I meant having the audio apps going in the background (eg when I’m on the train I’d be listening to music from my phone, but I don’t need to be seeing that red dot).
note it will also show when you are playing audio from the phone. For example, when I am playing podcast or Apple Music through CarPlay, it also shows. I think it's there anytime the phone or watch is playing audio.

Not sure you can disable it

Reactions: Boardiesboi

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Not true. It hangs around for a while after any audio has been paused. I’m equally annoyed by it.
I can see if you pause it it will take a longer while before it’s gone but if the audio is finished, Podcast ends or album ends for example, it will automatically be gone. It won’t linger.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I had to restart my S3 watch to get rid of it after finishing playing a downloaded podcast. I think it is a bug.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I can see if you pause it it will take a longer while before it’s gone but if the audio is finished, Podcast ends or album ends for example, it will automatically be gone. It won’t linger.
I see. I'm always on playlists with hundreds if not thousands of tracks so this makes sense.

BA2020

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2017
[edit] Purposefully Pausing music (not just removing airpods) will prevent the Audio/Music icon from displaying. Much easier than restarting the watch.

I have the same issue after updating to watchOS5. Finished a workout and pulled out my airpods. And hour later still flashing the red Audio/Music "icon". Happens most days and the only way I've found to remove it is to restart my AW3 LTE (saying that in case it only occurs with certain models). I'll try to remember to stop the music before removing my airpods.

Also, "killing" all apps doesn't help. (especially since "killing" apps, isn't really killing them)

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It's odd that Apple put it there as, although it's a complication, it's very hard to hit and does spoil the look of the faces.

Reactions: Boardiesboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.