how do i get rid of widgets?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I want to get rid of widgets because my machine is old (p4 pb 867mhz, 768mb, etc) and I know widgets take up a considerable amount of resources. So how do I get them from out of the background? They are all useless to me.

Also, is there anything else I can do to free up resources?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
To close widgets, when you're in Dashboard, hit the "plus sign" in the bottom left corner, then hit the "X" on the widget(s) you want to close.

Comment

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Getting rid of them is unsafe for your system. But if they are not activated then they are not taking up any room. Disable all the hotkeys and hot corners for them and you will be fine

Comment

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Widgets only take up resources if they are running open in dashboard.If they aren't open in dashboard the only thing they take up is HD space. Which is minimal.

Comment

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
So is x'ing out of them a bad thing? Will it have any effects?

Comment

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Xing out of them is fine, deleting the widget resources and frameworks from your system would be bad however.

Comment

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I wouldn't delete anything from /Library or /System unless you know you installed it there.
what about if it's from the user library, not the system library. there are two widgets folders one for the system and one for the user. i delete them from the user/library/widgets.

Comment

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
there is nothing bad about deleting a widget file other than you are deleting it and can't get it back if you want to (unless you backup somewhere else of course).

it's not like widgets are core OS files....

Comment

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
just type "kill all Dock" in terminal to stop all dashboard resources. this relaunches the dock and as a consequence kills all dashboard widgets as dashboard is tied to the dock. if you never open dashboard again its widgets will never be opened which is turn saves resources.
to test this out load all your widgets and check out activity monitor. you'll see lots of widgets with client on the end taking up ram. relaunch the dock and the widgets disappear from activity monitor. this effectively removes dashboard without hurting your system.

Comment

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
wtf? why is everyone saying deleting widgets is a bad thing? go to manage widgets and hit the - button to delete it. its there for a reason. its not there to mess up ur computer.....

Comment