how do i get rid of widgets?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmm, Oct 21, 2007.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I want to get rid of widgets because my machine is old (p4 pb 867mhz, 768mb, etc) and I know widgets take up a considerable amount of resources. So how do I get them from out of the background? They are all useless to me.

Also, is there anything else I can do to free up resources?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To close widgets, when you're in Dashboard, hit the "plus sign" in the bottom left corner, then hit the "X" on the widget(s) you want to close.

3. Kodex macrumors member

Getting rid of them is unsafe for your system. But if they are not activated then they are not taking up any room. Disable all the hotkeys and hot corners for them and you will be fine

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Widgets only take up resources if they are running open in dashboard.If they aren't open in dashboard the only thing they take up is HD space. Which is minimal.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

RAM is persistent, CPU time depends on the widget.

My favorite waste of space.

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

So is x'ing out of them a bad thing? Will it have any effects?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Closing a widget on the Dashboard only ceases the instance of it on the Dashboard.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No, its not a bad thing...

9. Kodex macrumors member

Xing out of them is fine, deleting the widget resources and frameworks from your system would be bad however.

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i do that, why is it bad?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wouldn't delete anything from /Library or /System unless you know you installed it there.

12. mashinhead macrumors 68020

what about if it's from the user library, not the system library. there are two widgets folders one for the system and one for the user. i delete them from the user/library/widgets.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It doesn't matter if it's ~/Library.

14. psingh01 macrumors 65816

there is nothing bad about deleting a widget file other than you are deleting it and can't get it back if you want to (unless you backup somewhere else of course).

it's not like widgets are core OS files....

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just type "kill all Dock" in terminal to stop all dashboard resources. this relaunches the dock and as a consequence kills all dashboard widgets as dashboard is tied to the dock. if you never open dashboard again its widgets will never be opened which is turn saves resources.
    to test this out load all your widgets and check out activity monitor. you'll see lots of widgets with client on the end taking up ram. relaunch the dock and the widgets disappear from activity monitor. this effectively removes dashboard without hurting your system.

16. DanB91 macrumors 6502

wtf? why is everyone saying deleting widgets is a bad thing? go to manage widgets and hit the - button to delete it. its there for a reason. its not there to mess up ur computer.....