Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
as the title says "How do i get stuff like CPU percentage in my top bar?"

that is the question, i had it on my tower, and i want it on my ibook, like my up/dn speed and then the proc % in the menu bar.... i think its in activity monitor, but i can't figure it out, kinda a brain fart, because i used to use it LOL, so please help me and tell me how!!!!!

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
wnameth said:
thanks, thats great, but i also have one more question, i have BT installed, but don't have any devices, but my BT in the menu bar is scratched out and in grey, when i click on it, it says BT: not available...whats the deal?

Is it built in bluetooth or just a USB dongle? If it says 'Bluetooth: Not Available' from the menu bar, then its not registering that it is there or the bluetooth hardware is broken. To rule out the menu item being messed up(though unlikely), If its built in - In 'System Profiler' under 'Bluetooth' does it give you the stats on your Bluetooth device or does it just say 'No Information Found'? If it's a USB dongle, is the hardware device showing up in 'System Profiler' under the 'USB' section?

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
tag said:
Is it built in bluetooth or just a USB dongle? If it says 'Bluetooth: Not Available' from the menu bar, then its not registering that it is there or the bluetooth hardware is broken. To rule out the menu item being messed up(though unlikely), If its built in - In 'System Profiler' under 'Bluetooth' does it give you the stats on your Bluetooth device or does it just say 'No Information Found'? If it's a USB dongle, is the hardware device showing up in 'System Profiler' under the 'USB' section?
its internal and i tested it last friday and it worked..

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
There've been reports of MenuMeters crashing and hanging in 10.4.3, use at your own risk. :p

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
It seems a few other people have had this problem as well, while there could be a few possibilites as to why it initially happened(though the most likely suspect seemed to be upgrading bluetooth while it was active, but who knows), it seems it can be solved by resetting the PMU. Here are the two links I found...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/10/17/broken-bluetooth/
http://www.macintouch.com/bluetooth03.html#apr26

Edit: You might want to try resetting the PRAM first, if that doesn't do the job then try the PMU reset, as it seems the PMU reset, resets alot more than the PRAM(like dates and more), heres a bit I just found in a quick search about both, (also info about this on above links as well regarding results of PMU reset)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/167392/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.