How do I get system profiler off desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QuasarZ, Oct 18, 2010.

1. QuasarZ macrumors member

Hello everyone
    Just got a mbp and am new to mac. Love it so far...
    I was trying to get battery info so I was looking in "system profiler" and thought I might like it in the dock. However it appeared to be placed behind the dock on the desktop, so I just "right clicked" it and said move to trash. When I did that I decided to go see if I could find system profiler in my apps or whatever, and it was gone. So I went to trash and hit "put back." It went back into its original folder, but it also went back onto the desktop. How can I remove it from the desktop?

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're talking about removing it from your Dock, not your Desktop, simply drag it off the Dock and let go.

3. QuasarZ thread starter macrumors member

It is no longer in my dock, but on the desktop

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click it and Get Info. What kind of file is it? Application or Alias?

If it's an Alias, you can just delete it. It won't affect the application.

If it's the .app file, move it to /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler.app

You said it was gone from your Applications folder. You should have a Utilities folder within the Applications folder. System Profiler should be there.

5. QuasarZ thread starter macrumors member

It was the application. I went into utilities folder and it was not there. So when I tried to put it in the dock it must have taken it from that folder. I moved it from the desktop back into utilities and it is gone from the desktop.
    Thanks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you drag an application to the Dock, it typically makes an alias and doesn't move the app. It's possible that when you dragged it, it landed on the Desktop instead of the Dock, which would have moved it. Glad you got it worked out.