Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Anyone remember those tape thingys that came out after records and before CD's?

Well I got some important stuff on a load of tapes that I want to put on my computer, and then ultimatly onto my iPod nano.

Is there anyway I can do this? I'm not too concerned about sound quality, I just need it to be reasonable enough.

I'm guessing I need to buy some piece of hardware and some software to do this but I don't know where to start looking.

Cheers.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Since you have a PowerBook, that should have an audio in post. So all you need is to connect a good old tape deck to that. Then get some audio recording software (like Audacity or maybe even GarageBand) and press play and record as in the old days, really. Then you can trim the audio file(s) and convert them to aac or whatever and add them to iTunes. :)

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Since you have a PowerBook, that should have an audio in post. So all you need is to connect a good old tape deck to that. Then get some audio recording software (like Audacity or maybe even GarageBand) and press play and record as in the old days, really. Then you can trim the audio file(s) and convert them to aac or whatever and add them to iTunes. :)

Sweet. I wasn't even sure it was possible lol.

Thanks a lot man.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You might want to experiment with the volume settings as well. If the output of your tape deck is a headphone piece, you'll most certainly want the volume to be somewhere near the max, but not at the max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.