How do I get the most for my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boombox15, Oct 19, 2016.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I am excited for new MacBook Pros to be announced next week. I'm thinking of upgrading my 2015 MacBook to the new ones. I usually sell my Macs on eBay, but I have grown tired of taking a loss with listing fees and low bids. It is a 512GB 1.2GHz in perfect condition. Just had logic board replaced. I bought it for $1599. Still has AppleCare on it. Is there any chance I can get possibly $1250-$1450 for it? I would rather not sell on craigslist. Any advice?

2. scarrz macrumors newbie

Not a chance. Just picked up same spec 2015 MacBook with applecare plus through 8/2018 for under $900. I'd say your best bet is Craigslist if you don't want to get destroyed with fees. Good luck.

3. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Craigslist / Letgo App is your best bet. Macrumors marketplace is visited by knowledgeable people who know that your asking price is too high. Ebay, as you stated is a risk.

What I do: Whenever I advertise on CL, I am extremely detailed, take several pictures, list the specs, etc. People will be drawn to your post then the quickie posts that have barely a description.

If you come off as professional with the advice above, someone will come close to your asking price. CL is always going to attract low-ballers. However, its a cash sale and less hassle. Just be safe when selling on CL (cash only + meet in public area).

I've sold old iPhones and a macbook pro and gotten very close to asking price with my methods. Good luck! Also, be sure you are 100% in wanting to sell your rMB. I don't know your needs, but wait and see what the new rMBP's offer before you take the plunge.

4. lite426, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

lite426 macrumors regular

I bought a silver base MacBook 2015 in September last year with the Back to School education promo. I sold it last week for £740, meaning only a £63 or 7.9% loss.

How? Firstly, it was £900 with the student discount, and came with free Beats Solo 2 (wired) and a three year warranty. At the time, I sold the Beats locally through Gumtree for £100 making the effective cost of the MacBook £800.

There was an offer last month on eBay for £3 max final value fee, and the free listing as usual. I listed the MacBook with clear photos of the MacBook from every side, including the underside and I took a close up photo of the serial number. In the photos, I included a screenshot of Apple's email to me with the Higher Education 3 year Apple Care base warranty agreement. I also included a screenshot of the Apple Coverage website with my serial number which proves that the warranty ends in September 2018. In the description, I clearly displayed the serial number so buyers could check for themselves.

I listed it as "cash on collection only" and "best offer" with the fixed price of £740. I received many sub-£600 or other very low offers. I was in no hurry to sell so until I got an offer I wanted, I just ignored those offers. Fortunately, a buyer eventually bought it outright for the buy-it-now price, £740.

I was fully open with the buyer and sent him a message to let him know that the item was used for a year and so may have very minor marks but was in excellent condition overall. He appreciated my honesty and told me he would come and see it in person. I backed up both my Windows and OS X partitions to an external hard drive, and then factory reset the laptop. This bit proved more time consuming than I'd expected.

The buyer came over to collect and we agreed on a bank transfer, avoiding the PayPal 3.4% fee. Don't accept PayPal for collections. Cash on collection is probably the safest, but I knew it would make the buyer uncomfortable to carry that amount of cash. I forwarded the buyer copies of my order dispatch email and the warranty email. The buyer checked the condition of the laptop and then transferred the money. After I verified I had received it, he took the laptop.

I understand there's a risk with bank transfer where the buyer could claim the transaction was unauthorised. It's a risk you will want to weigh up, cash on collection is possibly a safer option. The buyer seemed genuine, and so far the money hasn't bounced back I can only hope I don't get a nasty surprise down the line where the money's bounced, but seeing the buyer's relatively good feedback and long eBay membership time, I was willing to take the risk.

High feedback is no guarantee they're genuine, from what I hear, so look carefully not only at the feedback they've received but feedback they've left for others, their registration date, and on PayPal it should say "confirmed" address. If you decide to send it by post and PayPal, use a tracked service like Royal Mail Special Delivery. I don't know what the American equivalent would be. Obviously, you'd make a loss on the postage and PayPal costs, but at the same time depending on where you live, cash on collection may not be viable and you reach a wider number of buyers with postage.

I consider myself lucky to have gotten all those offers which you won't always be able to get. This year's Back to School promotion wasn't quite as good as last year as they didn't include the three year warranty, otherwise I'd have gone for it. I decided I'd wait for the new MacBook Pros. I have to say though, with the poor pound to dollar exchange rate right now it's not looking good.

For future, if you think you'll sell it after a year, I'd advise you to buy the base model of whatever you get and get the silver colour. This will minimise the loss as a lot buyers don't care much about upgrades. Plus, the silver colour is most universally liked I imagine.

Make sure you retain the box, receipts (in email or otherwise) proof of warranty etc. Advertise it clearly with the serial number and good photos. Don't make your description too long. Promptly reply to any questions the buyer sends. Have your phone set to alert you to email notifications or install the eBay app. I'm not a frequent seller but in my limited experience of eBay, this all helps to make a good impression I think.

There are other things I'd factor in other than the simple monetary loss. As I relied on my MacBook for work, I made sure to get a (temporary) replacement machine as soon as possible. Taking into account the time it takes the set up a new machine, transfer all your old files, all that adds up so it goes without saying plan ahead. There's also the time and effort it took to sell the MacBook (and Beats), so my actual loss is greater than £63. Being more familiar now with the process of creating an OS X/Windows backup followed by the whole selling process, I imagine I could do things more efficiently next time.