How Do I Get The Spinning Beach Ball To - GO

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Sep 11, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

My 2008 2.8 - V 10.5.7 iMac has started to show the spinning beach ball on screen when I open most things , its only there for a few seconds
    things just seem to be slower opening than usual , once some thing has opened it runs normally , If I open finder, or an application the beach ball appears , Ive gone through the Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions Etc and all appears to be Ok . I have a 297.77GB Capacity internal HDD with 124 . 93GB Available . I have 4GB RAM installed , and the iMac is left running over night to perform any maintenance . Can any one please advise me what may be causing the beach ball to appear , and how can I get back to how my iMac was .

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The usual answer to this is to get more RAM, but, as you already have 4 RAM, that should be quite sufficient for your needs and I'm nor sure what else to advise you.

Cheers

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Or upgrade the hard drive to a 7200rpm or and SSD? I was having loads of beach balls even with 4gb of Ram. Popped in a SSD and have not seen one since. This led me to believe that it might be something to do with the macbook waiting for 'information' off the hard drive.