How do I get those Stacks overlays to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kalixa, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Kalixa macrumors member

I'm trying to use the stack overlays from: http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

But I can't get them working. Apparently the overlays are set to a date, so they always will appear in front. But they don't on my Mac. When I drag them over they will appear in front, but when a newer item is placed in the same folder, as the stack overlay, the overlay will just go up in the "stack hierarchy"

The commands:

cd ~/Downloads

touch -mt 202001010101.01 " Downloads "

don't work either.

So why can't I get it working?

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Restart your computer or open terminal and type in:

killall Dock

It'll refresh everything (and all should hopefully be well.)
    Hope this helps.

3. Kalixa thread starter macrumors member

Nope. This didn't help.

And I forgot to mention before: When typing touch -mt 202001010101.01 " Downloads " into the terminal, an empty text file called Downloads is created.

4. .adam macrumors regular

Just put the icon in the file you're using as a stack, and call the icon the name of the file with a space in front of it.

For example, I have a file called "Inbox" as a stack. In the "Inbox" file is an overlay icon called " Inbox" (note the space in front of the word inbox).

Simply order the stack by name and you're good to go.

5. bobthecow macrumors newbie

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

There's no need to do the touch command, that should have already been done on the files you downloaded. Try re-downloading them, then putting them in the folder.

The reason you were getting an empty text file after doing the command is because the file isn't "Downloads" but " Downloads"
    Notice the space in front of the word :)

7. NickToye macrumors newbie

I'm telling you this doesn't work. I have tried both options and both times I just get the blank white file icon.

I am following everything to the letter.

8. bobthecow macrumors newbie

Throw away your existing overlays.

Download the overlay set again.

Drag the icon you want from the disk image to your desktop.

Then drag from the desktop to your stack.

Don't rename it, don't "touch" it. Just put it on your stack.

... If that still doesn't work, open a terminal and run this command:

Code:
    killall Dock
    If that doesn't work, good luck ;)

9. NickToye macrumors newbie

Well that isn't going to work is it?

We all know that we can drag that icon to the stacks and if it's the most latest file it will work, but then you add another file to the stack and that file will be the one you will see.

Jeez.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

:rolleyes:

Well are we a know it all. You do realize that these methods are intended to work because the files have a special property added to make them always appear as the most recent file, right? Or have you just ignored the fact that these actually work for most people and that you might just have screwed something up by thinking you knew exactly what you were talking about?

jW

11. NickToye macrumors newbie

I only know what I have read mate, so let me get this straight.

I download the stacks icons from here:

http://www.geocities.jp/chy065/

And then just simply drag them into the stacks and it should automatically work as intended?

Well it didn't, it just showed up the icons as a circle with a line through it. Then when I did killall Dock it moved them to the front. So now when I add a new file to the stack it should work? Well it didn't.